Unanswered: Client Network Utility Service Pack

2 Questions:

1) I am getting back into SQL more than before, in my new job. I need to find the service pack installed on the clients who have the Client Network Utility installed. I do not remember how to do this.

2) Running 'Select @@VERSION' on the server returns 7.00.1063 but does not indicate the service pack. Does this still mean sp4 has been installed?

I'm trying to ensure we'll all up to date since our dual 700 procs are acting eratic...jumps between 10 - 95% or so.

Server info:

NT Server SP6
    SQL 7.0
    2GB Ram
    2 procs @ 700Mhz
    Roughly 80 network connections.
    No other programs running on server except Antivirus.

Thank you!

Yes - sp4 is installed. Also, antivirus can cause several issues with any application. When you say jumping from 10% to 95%, are you isolating the application that is causing this ?

Originally posted by rnealejr
    Yes - sp4 is installed. Also, antivirus can cause several issues with any application. When you say jumping from 10% to 95%, are you isolating the application that is causing this ?
    Thanks for the reply! Based on the Perf Monitor, sqlservr.exe uses up most of the CPU. VNC is what I am using to connect to it to monitor it remotely, which does take up some of the CPU. There are only a couple other programs that will take up 1 or 2 of the CPU, but that doesn't even seem worthy of mentioning.

There is only one database that is about 4.5 GB large. It is essentially an out of the box CRM system database, not custom built.

I have read an online resource for using Performance Monitor which was very helpful, but I haven't been able to determine what exactly SQL is doing to cause it to spike.

There are no jobs running while I am monitoring the performance. Memory doesn't seem to be a problem at all, and my indexes appear to be fine.

Thanks again!

I would trash vnc and install terminal services (the administrative mode /not application) to remotely connect to your sql server machine. vnc causes cpu spikes. rtvscan is an antivirus application that causes spikes as well. When it hits 95% what applications are consuming the resource (is it only sql) ?