Unanswered: PostgreSQL backup

Hi everybody,
    i'm new to PostgreSQL database and i need to manage a backup policy of a PostgreSQL db with a Veritas product (net backup or backup exec).
    i found some useful information on the official site and browsing all around the net, but i'd like to get some confirms from you:

- is it impossible to perform an incremental or differential backup policy?

- the pg_dump command can really be permormed online, that means the pg_dump backup can be an "hot backup"?

- launching a pg_dump (with a shell script in the cron, for instance) and setting the veritas policy so that it performs a backup some minutes after the pg_dump command is the best solution? or smb can suggest me a better solution?

thank you very much,

matte

Re: PostgreSQL backup

Originally posted by matte2111
    Hi everybody,
    i'm new to PostgreSQL database and i need to manage a backup policy of a PostgreSQL db with a Veritas product (net backup or backup exec).
    i found some useful information on the official site and browsing all around the net, but i'd like to get some confirms from you:

- the pg_dump command can really be permormed online, that means the pg_dump backup can be an "hot backup"?

- launching a pg_dump (with a shell script in the cron, for instance) and setting the veritas policy so that it performs a backup some minutes after the pg_dump command is the best solution? or smb can suggest me a better solution?

thank you very much,

matte
    RE: No, incremental backups are still in Postgres TODO list

RE: Dumps created by pg_dump are internally consistent so pg_dump is an 'Hot backup'

-

thank you very much Ika. any hint about the third question?

My software will be working in a similar fashion. During the low traffic times, every day, I'll schedule a pg_dump, and then the network backup software can simply pick up the dump file and write to tape. I can't think of any other way to do it, but to be honest, I can't foresee any problems with it.

-PJ

ok, thank you very much.