Thread: Exporting db

Unanswered: Exporting db

Hi ya, (first post )

I've created my first database in Oracle 9i!I think i've got everything i need and hope the data types are correct!However, i need to be able to work in two different environments. One is a Windows XP machine and the other is Windows 2000. I've tried exporting the database using the 'exp' command but when i import it onto the Win2K machine, it will not work.
    I know there is a way to do this by copying and pasting the SQL commands, but i am stuck as to how!!
    Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Re: Exporting db

What kind of errors did you get ? reply the errors

There are several ways to duplicate a database

1.- RMAN ( It is not easy )
    2.- EXP/IMP utility ( Easy but you have to know some details )
    3.- RECREATING CONTROLFILE ( High Level of expertise )

Did you create all tablespaces in the second database that were in the first database ?
    Joel Pérez

I've been using the EXP/IMP utility!I cant remember the errors off the top of my head but it it just wouldn't import once exported. Something to do with Win XP maybe?
    I know there is a way by copying and pasting SQL code into the SQL plus worksheet. I think this is done by selecting 'Create Like' in Enterprise Manager Console and then copying the SQL manually. I attempted this also but i had a load of 'logging' errors if i remember correctly.
    Im on a Win XP machine at the mo, wont have access to a Win2K machine till tomorrow so sorry if i cant help further.

I've been using the EXP/IMP utility!I cant remember the errors off the top of my head but it it just wouldn't import once exported. Something to do with Win XP maybe?

r.- Probably you did not set the ORACLE_SID enviroment variable before carrying out the export or you have service names problems to connect the second database.

I know there is a way by copying and pasting SQL code into the SQL plus worksheet. I think this is done by selecting 'Create Like' in Enterprise Manager Console and then copying the SQL manually. I attempted this also but i had a load of 'logging' errors if i remember correctly.

r.- That method is very hard and does not make sense to duplicate a database so.

I can help you to carry out this task step by step but you have to access to the second server in order to help you.
    Joel Pérez

Are you saying that you can help me if i get access to the Win2K machine? Im not sure what you mean by second server.

Originally posted by marky
    Are you saying that you can help me if i get access to the Win2K machine? Im not sure what you mean by second server.
    Yes , I am meaning as second machine to your Win2K machine.
    Joel Pérez

Ok, ill have access tomorrow Im still working on the database itself and need to change between machines to spend more time creating it.
    Is this a common problem people have with Oracle? Or is it quite easy to overcome?
    Will i have the same problem when developing the forms too?

Originally posted by marky
    Ok, ill have access tomorrow Im still working on the database itself and need to change between machines to spend more time creating it.
    Is this a common problem people have with Oracle? Or is it quite easy to overcome?
    Will i have the same problem when developing the forms too?
    Oracle is a technology which is not easy ti handle and it requires a lot of details. Really your problem is not a tipic problem but rookies or when somebody has few experience working with something in Oracle , this generates a lot of questions and doubts.
    Joel Pérez

I see!Best get reading some books then!
    Thanks for your help, be back tomorrow!!

Re: Exporting db

If you want to have deep details about how exp/imp utilities work you can check out this document.

Utilities Contents / Search / Index / PDF
    http://download-east.oracle.com/docs...920/a96652.pdf
    Joel Pérez

Thanks, ill have a read now

Your welcome marky

Good Luck!
    Joel Pérez

Hey, managed to get it working today!!Had problems exporting and importing but it works now!

Who says you never learn from your mistakes!