Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: SQL Server vs. Access for Web DB

I need to make a decision regarding a simple web based database. I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer to my question: Should I use SQL Server or MS Access? The db will have less than ten tables and theoretically will be accessed by up to 20 users simultaneously. I'm not worried about size necessarily, more worried about performance and the simultaneous users. I'd rather use the simpler, less expensive solution, but will go to SQL if I have to. Any thoughts?

spade1970

Consider also that SQL requires administration, while Access only file maintenance and occasional repair. It all depends on how valuable your data is... And post the site URL if it is

Are you implying that Access is less secure?

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    Consider also that SQL requires administration, while Access only file maintenance and occasional repair. It all depends on how valuable your data is... And post the site URL if it is

Of course not!

I'm planning on having the site and db hosted. Does that address the administration point?

You can use MSDE for free, which will give you essentially a SQL Server database and engine.

Access is notorious for multiuser locking issues, that have never been solved, as it is essentially a piece of crap.

As for administration, it will actually be pretty minumal.

-b
    -bpd

The numbers you quote can be handled by Access.

Mike
    http://www.adoanywhere.com/forum

That'll do it, use SQL. This way if you choose to expand it, it's already there. Also, don't try to come up with the solution that answers your today's question, see if it can answer tomorrow's needs.

I agree with this statement in general, but this probably won't grow (maybe I'm being short-sighted.) As far as MSDE is concerned, I've looked at that and would probably be the solution but would require the SQL host. From the research I've done, SQL hosting is about $25 more per month. This project is for a charity that is already going to be pushing the budget with their new broadband connection. My goals, in order, to implement the correct solution, spend as little money as possible, and then make it as easy as possible for me. That being said, everybody still think SQL (or MSDE) is the best solution?

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    That'll do it, use SQL. This way if you choose to expand it, it's already there. Also, don't try to come up with the solution that answers your today's question, see if it can answer tomorrow's needs.

Nope, stay with Access, it's pretty clear. It's a charity for god's sake (NPI)

Personally, I dissent. I believe that an SQL server would be an appropriate solution; hosted on the web host. There is no charity in this world which can't afford $25 a month, and if the database has 20 users on it at a time, obviously that database is "operationally important" to the business of the charity. (If 20 users are "down" for even 2 minutes a month unnecessarily, that $25 you tried to save is gone anyway.)

Perhaps the web-hosting service will offer a discount to a non-profit; many do. But the bottom line is that, as with any other business's database, continuous availability and reliability and efficient performance is paramount... to the business. In my humble, Access won't deliver that. An SQL server (of any type) will.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

I concurr. Search around. There seems to be an entire segment of web hosting for non-profits.
    -bpd

i have to dissent with the dissention

just because there are 20 people browsing the site at the same time does not mean they will each press a button or click a link that requires database access at the same time

i could go to the site, browse their online store, click to add an item to my cart... and how many other users will be clicking to add to their cart at exactly the same second, versus still looking at the products and trying to decide? you could have hundreds of simultaneous site visitors without anywhere near half a dozen simultaneous database users

also, read The Truth About Access

disclaimer: i don't know anything about ASP or connections

my own site runs on access (even for the nav bar, which is dynamically generated from database tables) and it gets hundreds and hundreds of hits per second

of course, my site also uses coldfusion query caching, so that the web server never goes back to the database for stuff that hasn't changed since the last time it was queried...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I ,may be off base, and please don't flame me, but I have applications that run with access and have more than 20 concurrent users and I have never had a problem. You may also want to check out www.coveryourasp.com that site is running access for the backend, and it gets alot of traffic.

I do agree that SQL is the ultimate route to go if you have the $$$$ and the time.

just my 2 cents

Provided Answers: 1
    I preemptively dissent with anybody dissenting with r937's dissention of the dissention to rdjabarov's post.

Access is probably fine, and the charity will more likely be able to find other individuals who can modify the Access database in the future than if they had to find a SQL Server person.

I think you definitely need to check with whoever is going to host this to get their opinion too!
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com