Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In your thoughts
    Posts
    195

    Unanswered: My First DB2 Installation

    I've ran db2setup and everything went without a hitch. I followed all the instructions but now, when I go into db2cc and try to create a new db under my instance, it says that my instance doesn't exist. Is there a good article on how to install this or can someone tell me what needs to follow the installation so I can use this? Thanks, Jeremy

    P.S. - This is a development server for testing of a TOAD like app I'm writing for DB2.
    Nothing better than a good ride.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12

    Re: My First DB2 Installation

    Originally posted by JCScoobyRS
    I've ran db2setup and everything went without a hitch. I followed all the instructions but now, when I go into db2cc and try to create a new db under my instance, it says that my instance doesn't exist. Is there a good article on how to install this or can someone tell me what needs to follow the installation so I can use this? Thanks, Jeremy

    P.S. - This is a development server for testing of a TOAD like app I'm writing for DB2.
    What platform are you on? And what version of DB2 are you installing?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In your thoughts
    Posts
    195
    DB2 Version: V8.1
    Platform: Red Hat Linux 8.0

    I'm running db2setup and I see that it's having problems with the users. I'm diagnosing. Laters, Jeremy
    Nothing better than a good ride.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,737
    You need to log off root and log on to the instance owner id.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In your thoughts
    Posts
    195
    Let's start from the top.

    I am running Red Hat 8.0 and I would like to install DB2 8.1 Universal (Enterprise Edition). I've tried this many times today and I am yet to have a successful installation. Three thinks keep failing and I'm sure that one is causing the others:

    DB2 Database Creation
    Health Administration Server
    DB2 Catalog

    (Not exact names due to me not being at that machine)

    Is there anything I have to do before installing besides setting up the kernel parameters? Everytime I run db2setup, I use existing users created specifically for DB2. No matter what though, it always fails. I can do a db2idrop instance name after the install the do a db2icrt and then I can actually start the instance but if I ever try to use my DAS Admin to start DAS, I usually get the "SQL4401C" error and after looking in the log, I see that I couldn't bind to port 523. I do an nmap -sT -O localhost and I get that ibm-db2 is listening on 523. I've done everything so before I left work, I fully uninstalled the system. Can someone help me install this please? Thanks in advance, Jeremy
    Nothing better than a good ride.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12
    Originally posted by JCScoobyRS
    Let's start from the top.

    I am running Red Hat 8.0 and I would like to install DB2 8.1 Universal (Enterprise Edition). I've tried this many times today and I am yet to have a successful installation. Three thinks keep failing and I'm sure that one is causing the others:

    DB2 Database Creation
    Health Administration Server
    DB2 Catalog

    (Not exact names due to me not being at that machine)

    Is there anything I have to do before installing besides setting up the kernel parameters? Everytime I run db2setup, I use existing users created specifically for DB2. No matter what though, it always fails. I can do a db2idrop instance name after the install the do a db2icrt and then I can actually start the instance but if I ever try to use my DAS Admin to start DAS, I usually get the "SQL4401C" error and after looking in the log, I see that I couldn't bind to port 523. I do an nmap -sT -O localhost and I get that ibm-db2 is listening on 523. I've done everything so before I left work, I fully uninstalled the system. Can someone help me install this please? Thanks in advance, Jeremy
    You may want to choose a different port for the DAS:
    For instance: db2dasport 5001
    Then see if you can start the DAS.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In your thoughts
    Posts
    195
    Great idea. I never thought about that. I'll do that and upate in the morning. Thanks, Jeremy
    Nothing better than a good ride.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In your thoughts
    Posts
    195
    I'm back at work so I'll try this but why does the ibm-db2 service conflict with das? There has to be something more than just modifying the port on which das starts. I'll try it but I want to understand. What does the ibm-db2 service do and why have it? Thanks, Jeremy
    Nothing better than a good ride.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12
    Hm.. that I am not sure. I saw 523 sometimes show up in the port number field when I catalog an Instance.

    Does that mean port 523 is used by instance by default?


    Originally posted by JCScoobyRS
    I'm back at work so I'll try this but why does the ibm-db2 service conflict with das? There has to be something more than just modifying the port on which das starts. I'll try it but I want to understand. What does the ibm-db2 service do and why have it? Thanks, Jeremy

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In your thoughts
    Posts
    195
    I got everything working by uninstalling then installing everything manually. I created the das, then the instance and then got everything to work. Once I got away from db2setup, I was good to go. Laters, Jeremy
    Nothing better than a good ride.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •