Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Help Can not start SQLPLUS / oracle

I recently had a boot drive fail on my server. To fix the problem, I purchased a new drive and reloaded the AIX os. I then re-attached my old application drive that contained ORALCE as well as my data drives and ran an importvg to let the new OS know about the volume groups.

When I go into /u01/apps/oracle/product/8.1.7/bin and type sqlplus, I get the following message.

canot load program sqlplus because of the following errors.
    0509-130 - symbolic resolution failed for /usr/lib/libc.a(aio.o) because
    0509-136 - Symbol kaio_rdwr (number 0) is not exported from dependent module /unix

0509-136 - Symbol kaio_rdwr (number 1) is not exported from dependent module /unix

0509-136 - Symbol kaio_rdwr (number 2) is not exported from dependent module /unix

0509-136 - Symbol kaio_rdwr (number 3) is not exported from dependent module /unix

I have been trying to bring this systm up for 9 days. Any help would b appriciated ?

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH is wrong now.

Re: Help Can not start SQLPLUS / oracle

Did you install the OS ?

The disk damaged was part of your Oracle Home?
    Joel Pérez

Re: Help Can not start SQLPLUS / oracle

The damaged disk containd only the AIX os. The ORACLE application was on another drive that I re linked back into the new os using importvg.

is there a differenc btwen the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and the LIBRARY_PATH?

In my .profile on /home/oracle I placed the following entries. Do I need more, and is the .profile toe correct place for them.

ORACLE_HOME= /u01/app/product/8.1.7; export ORACLE_HOME
    LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib ; export LIBRARY_PATH

since I had to replace the OS I lost all the setting in my .profile for the user oracle.

Thanks

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the search path for shared object libraries (*.so)

This isn't the typical error you get - normally something like cannot load *.so: No such file or directory

The symbols it is complaining about look like asyncronous I/O symbols.
    Have you installed all the kernel extentions required, in particular any asynio extentions?

I guess you'd need to check the AIX or Oracle docs for any requirements

A further thought.
    It may be worth running the root.sh script again

I will give that a try. Any files or entris that ORACLE would have placed on the OS drives would be gone due to the replacement of the OS drive. I will try your sugstion and I will chang my LIBRARY path variable to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Thanks

I am running the root.sh It asked "Enter the the path of the local bin directory (.usr/local/bin)".

Do you think it wants the /u01p/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/bin path or does it want the /usr/bin directory ?

It has been a while since I last did an install on AIX but it is asking for an O/S directory rather than an Oracle one - I'd need to see the script to remind myself what it needs the directory for. It might be for the location of the oratab file but check the script.

I also seem to remember that AIX was one of the platforms that has a preroot.sh script (or is that rootpre.sh - I can't recall exactly)

Either way, if you have lost your O/S then you may need to run this script out too.

One other thing.

Did you relink all the oracle executables, including sqlplus?
    If so, how did you do it?

I am obviously missing a peice of this puzzle. my system gives me the symbolic resolution failed message as showh at the top of this issue if I try to run sqlplus or svrmgrl. It seems as if my system can run any of the ORACLE apps. As for the linking, I do not know how to do that. I did find a relink executable in the oracle path . I ran it and it asked me for paramaters : the choices where all, oracle , network, client, client_sharedlib, intermedia, precomp,utilities,oemagent. I quit out of it because I did not know what to select. This executable was in the oracle bin directory. I looked for the preroot.sh but could not find it.
    Thanks again for the help

I suggest you run the relink again and select all.
    Don't worry if you get errors - you will not corrupt your executables.
    Just note exactly what the errors are.
    If the relink fails it means things still are not right, but the errors may point us in the right direction.

If it succeeds, then it may resolve the issue, maybe it won't. But you should relink anyway.

I ran the relink and received the following errors: this repeted about 11 times
    relink(16): /usr/ccs/bin/make: not found
    relink(11): /usr/ccs/bin/make: not found
    relink(16): /usr/ccs/bin/make: not found

OK, it cannot find the make utility.

It cannot find it under /usr/ccs/bin

Where is make on your system?

Also:
    Do you have $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk
    Do you have $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/lib/ins_sqlplus.mk

(or some files of the form *.mk within the rdbms and sqlplus sub-directories?)