Unanswered: Simple UI for Oracle DB - for Help Desk

I need to provide a simple UI to look at a couple of tables on an Oracle DB. This is primarily meant to be used by Help Desk personnel to look at a couple of error log tables.

Currently the help desk personel use screens developed using Access. On the help desk PC, the Access runtime is used to display the screens. The problem faced is that when different users try to login from the same PC at different times, they are facing problems.

Once User A uses the PC and goes away after his shift, User B uses the PC in the next shift. Later when User A returns, he is unable to login. Does anyone know how to get over this problem?

If not, what is an alternative way to provide this UI.

Thanks

Re: Simple UI for Oracle DB - for Help Desk

UI ??? or GUI ( Graphical User Interface ).

If you are refering to a GUI to look tables, information and so on about the database I can recommend you Enterprise Manager ( This tool is overall for DBA's but is not easy to handle ).

If you need only to see information in tables , I recommend you SQL*Plus or SQL*Worksheet.
    Joel Pérez

To have them , you have to install the Oracle Client in your machine and so you are not going to have more problems.
    Joel Pérez

I think these documents can help you:

Client Installation Guide for 32-Bit Windows Contents / Search / Index / PDF
    Client Release Notes for 32-Bit Windows Contents / Search / / PDF
    http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92....emark=homepage
    Joel Pérez

Hi,

I wouldn't normally recommend Toad - but it does have some elementary security built in (you can disable menu options etc).

Create a new schema on Oracle, grant connect, select, update and insert on necessary tables and configure the toad security. Create some synonyms on those tables and voila. Your users can now modify their required tables.

This still isn't the correct solution, almost any frontend developer should be able to create you an onscreen grid to an Oracle table in minutes.

If you're stuck, export the table(s) and I'll send you a frontend.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Here's a slightly more complex front end....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.