Unanswered: HELP: ORA 12500 Listener Error in Oracle 9i on Win XP Pro platform

Hi,

I installed Oracle 9i (downloaded three weeks back from OTN from the Oracle web-site, came in 3 zipped files) on my home PC with Windows XP Pro.

After running the default options for installation, I encountered an error which said, Oracle was unable to create a database for me. But it let go through everything else.

Upon installation, I was gettin this error when I clicked on SQLPLUS icon or when I ran SQLPLUS.exe and tried to login with these default options:
    Login: System Pwd: Manager
    Login: Scott Pwd: Tiger

None of the logins took me through, I made three attempts and then
    SQLPLUS.exe shut down.

The errors that I got were:

1. 'TNSLSNR.exe has generated some errors and needs to close down' [... then it says report this problem to Microsoft ... and basically looks like it is a Windows XP generated error. I find it strange that the same version of Oracle 9i that I have is working just fine on my friend's PC which has a lower config and has Win XP Pro)]

2. 'ORA-12560 : TNS: protocol adapter error' (when I try to login with the above logins/pwds in SQLPLUS)

The config of my PC is:
    512 MB RAM/ 1.3 GHz Celeron Processor/ Master 60 GB HDD / Slave 80 GB HDD (35 / 25 / 15 GB partitions, Oracle 9i was installed in the 15 GB partition. )

Also, upon installation of the entire suite, the Apache folder grew to a size of 10.2 GB within a few seconds, and made the 15GB partition look full. So, I deleted Apache.exe and some of the associated files, and now the folder size is couple of MB only. I have installed and de-installed 9i probably 10 times with different default options, but every time, the Apache folder has grown to that size of nearly 10 Gig. In fact, once when I installed Oracle in the 60 GB Master, the Apache folder became as big as almost 46 GB in 2 hours! So, I don't know why Oracle keeps growing ... did I download a "live" n "organic" version of Oracle? ;-). But anyways, I have, upon a friend's advice, thereafter done away with Apache and Apache.exe both, which has put an end to this "growing" menace.

I hv two logins for my PC: Nick and Guest ... but hv never used the Guest login to do anything ... never even once logged in as Guest ...

After a friend advised, I have modified Listener.ora and tnsnames.ora both to make Ora92 the database name ...

Here is my TNSNAMES.ORA file:

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: H:\Ora92\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

Ora92=
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = frys_demo_30)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SID = Ora92)
    )
    )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = PLSExtProc)
    (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
    )

And here is my LISTENER.ORA file:

# LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: H:\Ora92\network\admin\listener.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    )
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = frys_demo_30)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    )
    )
    SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = H:\Ora92)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = Ora92)
    (ORACLE_HOME = H:\Ora92)
    (SID_NAME = Ora92)
    )
    )

The error that I am getting now is like this :

ERROR:
    ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

when I try to login with system/manager or scott/tiger in Ora92 domain ...

Windows debugger says this is the error:
    Unhandled exception at 0x61915732 in TNSLSNR.EXE: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000578.

Could somebody please tell me what could I do to make it work, and should I do now? It would be a big help!

Thanks,
    Nick.
    Last edited by sacchaa_dost; 01-14-04 at 19:35.

Hi,

I think you're going the right way to de-install and then re-install Oracle. If you want a simple, straightforward way to a DB then the default installation is the only way to go.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Oracle installer (much like most Windoze apps) doesn't completely remove Oracle.

It can leave behind registry entries (which can confuse a subsequent re-install) and a number of files.

Do a google for Oracle deinstall, Oracle install etc for further info on cleaning the registry etc.

Also, you will need to be logged in as an Administrator to do an Oracle install.

WRT to Apache growing, I can only imagine it was writing error logs (very quickly) for some length of time. It is probably related to the knackered Oracle install (but I'm guessing, I don't play with Apache).

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Here is a free clue......

If you are logged onto the system upon which the Oracle DB is installed,
    SQL*Net and Oracle's Listener are NOT required to log into the DB.

This can be done when a couple of prerequisites have been met.
    1) the DB must have been successfully started & online.
    2) ORACLE_HOME & ORACLE_SID must be properly set
    3) Other environmental variables may be required (& are OS specific).

I have the same problem and i didn't find any solution yet... did you manage to solve the problem? or does anybody knows how to solve this?
    Thank you