Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: HELP in installing SQL 7.0

I installed SQL 7.0 in windows 2000, at first it was working fine but after a few hours it cannot connect to my database.

I reformat my pc coz I was so desperate to make it work but after reformatting SQL won't work still. It cannot connect with my database which is also the same computer. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it over and over but I still face the same problem.

The SQL Server Service Manager there's nothing in the Service boxes.

I need your Help really bad!!!

Please post error messages that you get and relevant lines from the SQL Server error log. How are you connecting to the SQL Server? Vague questions solicit vague answers.

Smile

There are no error messages, In the SQL Service manager there's only "Distributed Transaction Coorditor" in the Services box, no MS SQL Server. And when I opened the enterprise manager, there are no items under the SQL server group. I'm only starting to learn SQL and VB6, and I'm dying to install them to my home pc. Thanks.

Look for installation log files - like sqlsp*.log. When you installed the application did you receive any errors ?

Originally posted by rnealejr
    Look for installation log files - like sqlsp*.log. When you installed the application did you receive any errors ?
    I searched the installer cd and may hard drive but there was no file sqlsp*.log. There was no error during installation, all components were installed but no data base recognized.

That's because it's called sqlstp.log :-) Have a look for that and post it up.

Smile registry missing

I've searched the sqlstp.log file from my installer but didn't find any.

i don't know if it matters, but when I checked the regedt32.exe, I can't find the sql entries. It is missing in my pc with win2000 platform. I used the same installer in my other pc with win xp, and sql worked, when I looked at the registry all the sql entries was there.

Thank you for your Help

Search your entire hard disk for that file. Now, for your registry where are you looking exactly? Did you select all the defaults when you were installing?

Could you do the whole thing again and screenshot each dialog that you get, then dump them into a Word document, zip that and post it. We should be able to help from that.

Provided Answers: 11
    Just a couple of questions:

Where is the database? Is it local to the machine the client is on, or is it on a remote server?

After reformatting the disk(s) did you reinstall the server part of SQL 7.0, or did you install only the client?

If the databases were local to the machine, can you find the *.ldfs and *.mdfs?

Originally posted by MCrowley
    Just a couple of questions:

Where is the database? Is it local to the machine the client is on, or is it on a remote server?

After reformatting the disk(s) did you reinstall the server part of SQL 7.0, or did you install only the client?

If the databases were local to the machine, can you find the *.ldfs and *.mdfs?

All my data base are in the local machine, and I can see all the ldf and .mdf files in c:\mssql7\data.

When I reinstalled SQL I made sure both server and client parts are installed.

Originally posted by Mark Allison
    Search your entire hard disk for that file. Now, for your registry where are you looking exactly? Did you select all the defaults when you were installing?

Could you do the whole thing again and screenshot each dialog that you get, then dump them into a Word document, zip that and post it. We should be able to help from that.
    sqlstp.log file is in c:\winnt. Attached is the screenshot of regedt32. Thank you for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I attached the sqlstp.log, it might help analyzing the problem. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

This sounds like a security/permissions issue - are you the administrator for your windows 2000 machine and have you locked down the machine at all ?

I came across this ms solution, even though it refers to sql server 2000 (not 7) it references specific windows 2000 settings that need to be modified.

link

Originally posted by rnealejr
    This sounds like a security/permissions issue - are you the administrator for your windows 2000 machine and have you locked down the machine at all ?

I came across this ms solution, even though it refers to sql server 2000 (not 7) it references specific windows 2000 settings that need to be modified.

link
    I always log-in as the administrator, in fact we never use any other user name. I'll do anything to get out of this dilemma.

Provided Answers: 11
    Hmm. Looks like the install went OK from the SQLSTP.log file. When you look in Administration tools->services do you see MSSQL Server? Not sure that the service is starting up.