Unanswered: TNS Names from tnsnames.ora

Hi,

Is there a programmatic way to get hold of the DB entries in the tnsnames.ora file ? I mean, I can read the file and parse it, but it would be neater to be able to get it from the Oracle server in some manner.

TIA
    /Rob
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire

Re: TNS Names from tnsnames.ora

Do you mean to get the entries of tnsnames.ora file from the server ?

expalin better what you want please
    Joel Pérez

Originally posted by joelperez
    Do you mean to get the entries of tnsnames.ora file from the server ?

expalin better what you want please
    Yes, exactly. Instead of parsing the tnsnames.ora file I'd like to connect to the server and get the entries that way.

Although if tnsnames.ora _always_ is in the DB_HOME/Network/Admin/ directory, I suppose parsing the .ora file is Ok.

But it is not as neat... ;-)

/Rob
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire

If you want to get those entries from the server you have to log in the server and look for the tnsnames.ora file and copy it for you but you will not be able to get those entries without access to the server.
    Joel Pérez

Originally posted by joelperez
    If you want to get those entries from the server you have to log in the server and look for the tnsnames.ora file and copy it for you but you will not be able to get those entries without access to the server.
    Mmm... logical. I'm starting to think that looking at the tnsnames.ora (Client Side) file is not as ugly as I thought earlier... :-)

Thanks for your comments!
    /Rob

Your welcome robidb!
    Joel Pérez