Lightbulb Unanswered: Pop-up search form with filters.. what do you recommend?

Hi all,

I have two questions:

1. I have a failry small database (8 tables, 4 forms, up to maybe 500 records a year) and was wondering what the best way was to make it possible for users to search.

2. I was thinking of a pop-up form in which I placed to or three drop-down lists used as filters

WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND

Sounds a good approach to me. You could also include some buttons on the form to enable the users to switch between AND and OR (because if you don't you can guarantee somebody will ask you to!!).

Another idea: if you only have 500 records it's pretty likely that these could be organised into some sort of categories (Region, Department, Country, manager, whatever). You could display a TreeView control with the records listed under their respective categories. This makes filtering so easy to use from the user's point of view as they could just point and click on a record to view its contents.

There are, indeed, many ways to filter data, and I hope this has given you a couple of ideas.
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

Question Where to start?

Thankyou Andy,

It has indeed given me an idea of what to do, the only thing is that I don't know where to start so if you have any ideas?