Red face Unanswered: MSDE2000A + Windows 2003 Server

I have been searching the net and haven't found anything that has worked so far for resolving this issue, hopefully someone on here can provide some insight?

I did a fresh install of a Windows 2003 Standard Edition server (as part of a workgroup, not a domain..the server is only temporary for testing) and installed MSDE 2000A (the version that contains all current service packs). I can use the MSDE server locally on the server without any issue...however when I try to connect to MSDE with a workstation, it tells me that Access is denied or the Server does not exist.

The ICF is disabled, and all passowrds being entered have been checked, however I still can not connect to the sql server. Does anyone have any ideas on this or run into this problem before?

Did you use any command line switches with your setup? Look at the ReadmeMSDE2000A.htm in your setup directory--specifically the install switch DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=n--run setup with the parameter set to 0.

The only command line switch I used was the one to set the SAPWD, as every other time I've had to install MSDE, that was all that was required and everything worked perfectly for me.

I am guessing it is the OS blocking off the port and not the server, however I will try to reinstall it with that switch. Stay Tuned.