Unanswered: Online Restore: exclusive access to tablespaces

I read that, for online restoration, exclusive access is required only for the tablespaces being restored.

I am curious as to how do you procure this exclusive access to tablespaces being restored on an online database.

Doesn't one, usually, backup all the tables, hence all tablespaces, in a database backup? If that's true, don't we need exclusive access to the full database for restore?

You can tell I am a newbie!

Thanks

Re: Online Restore: exclusive access to tablespaces

If you use logretain or userexit, you can restore one or more tablespaces or the entire database ...
    In case you are restoring only a few tablespaces, then specify the name of that tablespace along with the keyword online ... This will require exclusive acess only to the tablespace in question

For more details look into the comnmand reference

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by globetrotcom
    I read that, for online restoration, exclusive access is required only for the tablespaces being restored.

I am curious as to how do you procure this exclusive access to tablespaces being restored on an online database.

Doesn't one, usually, backup all the tables, hence all tablespaces, in a database backup? If that's true, don't we need exclusive access to the full database for restore?

You can tell I am a newbie!

Thanks
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thanks for attempting to answer my questions, which still remain:

First of all, how to you procure exclusive access to the tablespaces being restored online?

Secondly, what considerations go into deciding which tablespaces to backup for later online restore.

Thanks

Originally posted by globetrotcom
    Thanks for attempting to answer my questions, which still remain:

First of all, how to you procure exclusive access to the tablespaces being restored online?

Your RESTORE command does this for you ...

Secondly, what considerations go into deciding which tablespaces to backup for later online restore.

Thanks
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.