Unanswered: PostgreSQL for WINDOWS

Hi everybody,
    How can I obtain a free version of PostgreSQL database server for WINDOWS and JDBC driver for this database? I've visited www.postgresql.org and found FTP sites with Linux versions only.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Regards
    Bogdan

Well, the windows port of postgres not out yet - the free version that is. Its been due for a while, and is still on their todo list. Check the status of it here

However you can run Postgres on Windows - I am doing it now. You need to install a peice of software called cygwin and then you can use the normal linux version of Postgres!

Warning though - it can be (though not necessarily) an arse to setup. I have my copy running nicely on Windows 2000 Server as a service...

It works fine when it is setup, and I have had no problems other than ones I would have had otherwise on Linux.

Good luck
    Last edited by rhs98; 01-16-04 at 11:47.

Another option is UltraSQL which is a breeze to install. It's based on PostgrSQL 7.2. I've been experimenting with it for a while on Windows NT 4 and haven't found any problems with it (I haven't been working it hard, however). Take a look at the following link for a list of ways to get PostgreSQL running on Windows. It has clear instructions for Cygwin and native alternatives.

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/Windows

Re: PostgreSQL for WINDOWS

Try using MySQL instead. Same thing.

Originally posted by brbogdan
    Hi everybody,
    How can I obtain a free version of PostgreSQL database server for WINDOWS and JDBC driver for this database? I've visited www.postgresql.org and found FTP sites with Linux versions only.
    Regards
    Bogdan

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/curre...all-win32.html

Originally posted by brbogdan
    Hi everybody,
    Regards
    Bogdan

Originally posted by vidmas
    Try using MySQL instead. Same thing.
    Er postgres and mysql are not the same.

It's not the same thing but what do you actually get? Stored procedures are cool if you can execute them in a 4GL language. PL/pgSQL has no procedures, bad libraries, no packages, dumb quote escapes that make you count about 50 quotes per dynamic query, and no parameter naming. All parameters are constants that you have to alias and not name! My point is that you are better off just using the tables and using a server-side scripting language such as php, perl, python, etc. The speed of modern servers makes the "slow" script advantages far outweigh the advantages of PL/psSQL (which sucks as a language). Furthermore, did you check out the link about compiling PostgreSQL for Windows?

Originally posted by rhs98
    Er postgres and mysql are not the same.