Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17

    Unanswered: Compare text fields and color differences

    Hi, I think this is a real hard one.
    Two text fields have to be compared and the differences should show in a different color (or in a new field).

    Is this possible???

    I work with FM5/6 on pc and Mac.

    Thank you for reading and eventually answering my question.
    Last edited by MichèleW; 01-16-04 at 06:49.
    Michèle

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh USA
    Posts
    203

    Re: Compare text fields and color differences

    It is possible, but to make sure I understand what you want to do please cite an example.

    Originally posted by MichèleW
    Hi, I think this is a real hard one.
    Two text fields have to be compared and the differences should show in a different color (or in a new field).

    Is this possible???

    I work with FM5/6 on pc and Mac.

    Thank you for reading and eventually answering my question.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17

    example

    text 1: Hello, my name is Anna. I live in France.
    text 2: Helo, my name is Peter. I work in Italy.

    Words in text 2 that differ from text one should be in another color (or underlined, or...)

    So in text 2 the words: "Helo", "Peter", "work" and "Italy" should be in another color.

    Hope you can help me.
    Michèle

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh USA
    Posts
    203

    Re: example

    Sorry I can't find a way. FileMaker, although it has a lot of text functions is unable to compare words and dynamicly change font color. But there may be another way to accomplish your request. Can you tell me what is the specific end results (besides font color change) that you're trying to achieve?

    Originally posted by MichèleW
    text 1: Hello, my name is Anna. I live in France.
    text 2: Helo, my name is Peter. I work in Italy.

    Words in text 2 that differ from text one should be in another color (or underlined, or...)

    So in text 2 the words: "Helo", "Peter", "work" and "Italy" should be in another color.

    Hope you can help me.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17
    Hi Rick,

    No other goal but to to make the differences 'visible'.
    I need it for manual changes 'on paper'.
    Michèle

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh USA
    Posts
    203
    The best your going to be able to do with this database is know that there is a difference (via word count or simular function), but not be able to determine what the differnce is. The program just does not contain the programming power at the user level to perform these kind of congnative functions

    Originally posted by MichèleW
    Hi Rick,

    No other goal but to to make the differences 'visible'.
    I need it for manual changes 'on paper'.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17
    That's indeed how far I got.

    Anyway thank you for trying to find an answer for me.
    If I figure out a solution (one never knows) I'll make sure I post it.
    Michèle

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1

    Re: Compare text fields and color differences

    Michele, I do this a lot. It is the only good use of repeating fields that I have found. Set up a container repeating field with colors in it.

    Set up a calculation field (Containter) that compares two text fields and the result turns into the GetRepetition(FIELDNAME,#ROW OF REPEATING FIELD).

    Lay the actual field over the container making sure that there is no fill in the regular field, then the color shows through.

    I know this is clear as mud, but I can explain it better or send you to some web sites that can help.




    Originally posted by MichèleW
    Hi, I think this is a real hard one.
    Two text fields have to be compared and the differences should show in a different color (or in a new field).

    Is this possible???

    I work with FM5/6 on pc and Mac.

    Thank you for reading and eventually answering my question.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •