Unanswered: Data Migration: Adabas to Oracle 8

Hi

We currently need to export some data from Adabas (on OpenVMS) and import to a new Oracle 8.1.7.4 database.

Can anyone advise on best procedure? Scripts, tools or other metods etc.

Thanks

Paul

How do you use the ADABAS Database?

At work, we are using ADABAS with NATURAL and we have written NATURAL programs to extract the data into sequential Ascii-files.

To load the data we created SQL*Loader Scripts to read the data from the sequential File into Oracle Database.

In my opinion this works fast.

Hope that helps.

With regards

Frankie

Adabas to Oracle

Hi

We're trying to use Natural programs to extract to XML then we can manipulate the XML however we want

Have u thought of using XML?

Re: Adabas to Oracle

No, we didn't think about using XML.

Initially we had to move fast from Mainframe (IBM S/390) to Windows Platforrm and to change from ADABAS to ADABAS-D, we had not the time to spend plenty of time with building XML Files, thinking about how to parse them etc. We only had to move the Data quick from ADABAS to ADABAS-D and to take the System-change from EBCDIC to ASCII.

Time went by and there was the need to also be able to move from ADABAS to ORACLE or from ADABAS-D to ORACLE.

As far as I know, the fastest way to bring data into a database is to use its own loader tools.

But if you want to manipulate the data this is another task which I haven't done by now.

I think some problems will also occur, if you have used the special features of ADABAS lwhich are not foundin any other sql databases.

with regards

Frank

Re: Data Migration: Adabas to Oracle 8

Hie Paul, did you find a solution to this .....
    Am in the same fix now..(LOL)

Chriss

Originally posted by elegba21
    Hi

We currently need to export some data from Adabas (on OpenVMS) and import to a new Oracle 8.1.7.4 database.

Can anyone advise on best procedure? Scripts, tools or other metods etc.

Thanks

Paul

Normalize, normalize, normalize is the mantra. Using VMS, you have several options. Exisiting ADABAS utilities which are fast and fool proof until a smarter fool shows up. But this will not normalize the data. A better solution is to write a Natural program to extract the fields and write the data to an RMS file which then can be loaded using the Oracle loader. Remember that ADABAS permits repeating fields and groups which Oracle will choke on.....
    Regards, Peter