Angry Unanswered: SQL2000 server problem

I have Windows server 2003 installed, and Visual Studio .NET 2003 ent.arch also. I downloaded the msde sp3 from microsoft's site. installed it. The problem occured when i rebooted my machine. The system tray icon of SQL Server Service Manager says "Not connected". When i open the manager, there are no Services nither Servers listed in the dropdown lists. Can you help with this. Thx in advance!

Re: SQL2000 server problem

Originally posted by tundra[z]
    I have Windows server 2003 installed, and Visual Studio .NET 2003 ent.arch also. I downloaded the msde sp3 from microsoft's site. installed it. The problem occured when i rebooted my machine. The system tray icon of SQL Server Service Manager says "Not connected". When i open the manager, there are no Services nither Servers listed in the dropdown lists. Can you help with this. Thx in advance!
    I had trouble with the MSDN last week too. But the whole installation did not succeed, so I did not see the tray icon. However, my advice could be helpful.

Let me shortly describe what occurred when this happened to me: I tried to install the MSDE like you. When I came back to my computer the command line looked like the setup routine ran properly, no error message, a normal prompt. But the MS SQL service didn't appear in the service manager. So I retried and kept sitting there. The setup stopped shortly before the end, and then rolled back. I found a tipp at the TechNet. The "Server"-service has to run, it was deactivated. After fixing that I could install the MSDE properly.

Then I noticed SQL-authentication would fit my needs better. I couldn't quickly find a way how to switch to that mode, and so I decided to reinstall instad to look for this further. That brought me into trouble again. Let's make it short: You need to remove the installation directory (or maybe some files or sub directories only, but it doesn't matter) before setting up the MSDE again.

HTH anyway & be blessed!

Different problem

As you see, i have a bit different problem. There were no errors while installing MSDE. The real problem came out after i restarted my sserver. The tray ison of MSDE was seen but there were no servers and no services. I tried reinstalling several times, but it didn't help.