Question Unanswered: 9i with HP/UX AND Solaris at the same time!

I have a 9i database running on Solaris 8.
    I want to put in a HP/UX server to act as DR for this (the reasons are complicated).
    The datafiles, control files etc. will be mirrored by the SAN to LUNs that are visible to the HP/UX box, but can I then just start a 9i instance and expect it to just work? If not, is there a work around?

By DR, do you mean Disaster Recovery?

I don't know if this would work or not, but I would be wary of trying to start the database from the HP box - you may corrupt the database.

Apart from whether or not it works, would Oracle support such a configuration?
    I would doubt it.

Originally posted by SkyWriter
    By DR, do you mean Disaster Recovery?

I don't know if this would work or not, but I would be wary of trying to start the database from the HP box - you may corrupt the database.

Apart from whether or not it works, would Oracle support such a configuration?
    I would doubt it.
    I think this is not a good idea but if you realy want do that be sure you are using same filesystem type for database on both Op. systems. For example VxFS.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    You can NOT use hardware and OS from different vendors to "share" Oracle datafiles. If the DB is opened on Solaris the files are 100% useless on any other OS; and vice versa. Difference in underlying OS file systems exists in addition to the problem with BigEndian architecture is not compatible with LittleEndian architecture. The ONLY way to move an Oracle DB between disimilar OSs is via export & import.