Unanswered: Copying Database

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE PAST HELP. I WOULD LIKE TO STOP OTHERS FROM COPYING ANYTHING FROM ONE DATABASE TO ANOTHER. IF I PUT SECURITY ON A DATABASE, OTHER JUST COPY THE DATA TABLES, QRYS, FORMS, REPORTS, MACRO, ETC TO ANOTHER AND JUST START USING THE NEW ONE WITHOUT HAVING TO USE THE SECURITY I SET UP.

simple idea:

try renaming your tables: tblWasMyTable --> UsysTblWasMyTable.
    it's not bullet-proof, but it keeps the innocents out.

(you might need to locate the option Hide/Show System Tables so that you can see the UsysXxxxxxx tables).

i never tried Usys on a query (etc). maybe it works there too.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Originally posted by izyrider
    simple idea:

try renaming your tables: tblWasMyTable --> UsysTblWasMyTable.
    it's not bullet-proof, but it keeps the innocents out.

(you might need to locate the option Hide/Show System Tables so that you can see the UsysXxxxxxx tables).

i never tried Usys on a query (etc). maybe it works there too.

izy

How about forms, reports, macro etc.

thanks for the above

Usys all tables (warning: use ugly table names 'cos a query can still address a UsysXxxxx table: if the pirate knows of the Usys scam and can guess the "Xxxxx" ...dead!

dont used stored queries but use SQL in code

base your reports on SQL code (or, if you must, temp tables created from SQL code which (still via code) you delete immediately after the report completes)

then you make a pre-distribution copy of the .MDB

....on the copyMDB (never your development .MDB)
    NO all the option boxes (change menus, show sys obj, etc)
    make .MDE and distribute the .MDE

pirates can't see your tables, menus won't allow them to view system tables, there are no queries, reports don't work without the source SQL, and they cant see your code (...see your SQL or table names) cos of the .MDE

i know this is not bulletproof, but i dont know how to break in systematically without brute-force attempts to crack the table names or listening on the LAN for the queries. if your data is worth all this cracking effort, you should not be anywhere near Access.

check out earlier posts from homerboo: i think it was he who did some clever code on a similar topic.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2