7. db2start
    8. db2 backup db sample online
    9. db2 update db cfg for sample using trackmod on
    10. db2stop
    11. db2start
    12. db2 insert into test(200)
    12. db2 backup db sample online
    13. db2 insert into test(300)
    A database connection does not exist. Why? online backup will force disconnection database? This is my first question.
    So I submit "db2 connect to sample"
    14. db2 insert into test(400)
    15. db2 backup db sample online incremental
    16. db2 drop db sample
    17. db2 restore db sample incremental taken at 20040107182023

My question is:
    First, at step 13, why the database lost connection?
    Second, at step 17, when I droped database and did not record the timestamp, how do I restore database sample?

Thanks!

If you do not specify a timestamp to the restore command, it will restore from the last good backup. ie you simply leave out the taken at clause.

Online Backup

Hi ,

For Q 13 I would add that online backup requires exclusive usage of logs and tablespaces hence users are forced of the system. This is essential to maintain database integrity.

The answer for Q17 is already given by chattoraj.

For Incremenatal Backups pls refer to this link it explains a good details

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...5adamache.html

Cheers

Nitin.
    HTH

Nitin

Ask the experienced rather than the learned

You can know the timestamp when the backup was taken by checking the backup image file name and the folder under which it is stored. For ex: Your backup image timestamp is "20040107182023", so you should find a file by name "182023.001" under a folder by name "20040107" in the default backup folder structure. So, the combination of the folder name and the backup image filename gives you the timestamp.
    Also you can run "db2ckbkp" command with various options on the backup image file to get more details.

HTH
    Ravi

An online backup does not require exclusive lock on tablespaces or logs - an offline backup does.

A backup command always creates a new connection to the database and at the end terminates it ...

As you were doing all the sqls and commands in the same session, at 12 db2 terminated the exisiting connection and made a new connection (the default CLP behaviour) and at the end of step 12 terminated the connection it created ... So, at step 13 , you did not have a connection

This is how I interpret the behaviour

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    A backup command always creates a new connection to the database and at the end terminates it ...

As you were doing all the sqls and commands in the same session, at 12 db2 terminated the exisiting connection and made a new connection (the default CLP behaviour) and at the end of step 12 terminated the connection it created ... So, at step 13 , you did not have a connection

This is how I interpret the behaviour

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Sathyaram, what you write here is absolutely right and I used test to prove it.

1. A backup command always creates a new connection (it ends the first connect at the same time), it terminates the new connection at the end too.
    2. A backup command will not terminate other connections except itself.

Originally posted by cchattoraj
    An online backup does not require exclusive lock on tablespaces or logs - an offline backup does.
    definitely right

Originally posted by Ravi
    You can know the timestamp when the backup was taken by checking the backup image file name and the folder under which it is stored. For ex: Your backup image timestamp is "20040107182023", so you should find a file by name "182023.001" under a folder by name "20040107" in the default backup folder structure. So, the combination of the folder name and the backup image filename gives you the timestamp.
    Also you can run "db2ckbkp" command with various options on the backup image file to get more details.

HTH
    Ravi
    Very good idea, and I see the result immediately

Thanks all your help! You guys do a very good job for me!!