Unhappy Unanswered: Disk Space Required for FixPak Install

I am trying to instal FixPak 4 for V8 on XP. I kept getting an error. During the install, I kept getting the "low disk space on c:" message.

My C; drive has 1.4 GB of free space. I can't believe that installing a fixpak (temp files and all) would take up over aGB of space - but it is!!!

How can I get this installed? All the programs that are on my machine need to be there, so there's not the option of deleting stuff or removing programs. Is there some way to put the package to a different drive with more space?

Really need help on thins one.
    Thanks!
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."

1.4 GB free disk space is not very much these days. You might try moving your windows swap space to another drive to free up some space. You might be able to move some other files to another drive temporarily, and move them back after the install is over. Also, you should do frequent defrags.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks!! I usually defrag once a week - just to be safe. But the moving of the swap file is a pretty good idea...never would have thought of that.

Thanks again....

BTW - don't suppose you know much about XML Extender would ya?
    Anthony Robinson

"If I'm curt with you, it's because time is a factor here. I think fast, I talk fast, and I need you guys to act fast if you want to get out of this. So, pretty please - with sugar on top..."

You can overcome the problem in two ways:

1] I think you can uncompress the zip file using IBM recommended way eg:
    >FP4_WR21326.exe -e -f e:\db2_fixpak4, where -f option indicates that you need to uncompress the file under a specific location as opposed to "temp" folder. Make sure "e:\db2_fixpak4" folder already exist.

2] Generally, your "temp" folder is set in the "system" environment variable setting -- and by default it points to "c:\winnt\temp" or "c:\temp" drive.
    You can edit this parameter to suit according to your environment for eg: instead of c:\temp you can set it to "e:\temp" (assuming your e: drive has enough space than c: drive!!)

I am comfortable with option 1 ..!!.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a ton for all of the suggestions!!

Really appreciate it - all sytems are now go...
    Anthony Robinson