Unanswered: How to Congigure two DB Instance on Same Server Machine to use same Oracle S/w

Hi All,
    I have SUN Sparc machine with Solaris 9 on it. And Oracle9i DB instance has been configured on SUN. The database was created with CREATE DATABASE Command after logging to unix user a/c ORACLE. (This account has valid ORACLE_HOME & Valid ORACLE_SID set in the profile & is responsible for oracle s/w). The database is well up & running OK. This DB is listening at default port 1521.

Now, there is a need to create another database instance on the same SUN Machine which will be using the same oracle software & the same ORACLE_HOME.

What all points i need to take care & how can i configure another database instance with different SID.? And how do i know at which port should i run this DB Instance..? If some steps or some suggestion could be provided, it would be great help to me.

Thanks. Hope to get some response.

Regards,
    Kamesh Rastogi
    - KR

Re: How to Congigure two DB Instance on Same Server Machine to use same Oracle S/w

Originally posted by RastogiKamesh
    Hi All,
    I have SUN Sparc machine with Solaris 9 on it. And Oracle9i DB instance has been configured on SUN. The database was created with CREATE DATABASE Command after logging to unix user a/c ORACLE. (This account has valid ORACLE_HOME & Valid ORACLE_SID set in the profile & is responsible for oracle s/w). The database is well up & running OK. This DB is listening at default port 1521.

Now, there is a need to create another database instance on the same SUN Machine which will be using the same oracle software & the same ORACLE_HOME.

What all points i need to take care & how can i configure another database instance with different SID.? And how do i know at which port should i run this DB Instance..? If some steps or some suggestion could be provided, it would be great help to me.

Thanks. Hope to get some response.

Regards,
    Kamesh Rastogi
    You need to set another ORACLE_SID (export ORACLE_SID=second).
    Then create the database. Create PFILE or SPFILE for second instance. For configuring listener try Oracle documentation or try to search in this forum.