Unhappy Unanswered: Oracle 8i Enterprise Manager Console Question?

I have Oracle 8i installed on my machine, and the DB starts up and works fine and all that, but when i try to start the Enterprise Management Server i get the error Message "The Oracle ManagementServer on the local computer started then stopped. Some services stop if they have no work to do , for example, the performace logs and alerts service." I dont know how to get that service to start and so far havent found any information on it, can anyone help out or at least try to point me in the right direction on getting this thing working?

Thanks in advance guys.

this is for 9i, but should help you:
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Thanks to The_Duck !!

THanks alot man, that helped me get my service started for the managementserver, but now i have the problem of once i start the ManagmentServer and then go to the console, it gives me an "infuicient user privledges" error, i have a user created called Marshe/***** and it seems it wont let me grant him a dba role, and i am pretty sure i need that role to log into the management console. So now thats where i am stuck at. Any clue what to do from here?

RJ Marshe

down on the cube farm, left then right then another left
    Are you connected as SYS when you try to grant the DBA for to marshe?
    NOTE: Please disregard the label "Senior Member".

Insufficient Privledges Error

No I was logging in as Marshe/***** as sysdba....then granting to dba role to my user Marshe by typing Grant dba to marshe;

Which says it worked (the dba grant statement), but when I try to log into the Management Console with user Marshe I got an insufficient privledges message error.

couple options:

1. Do not log in as SYSDBA (SYSDBA is not the same as the DBA role)
    or
    2. Set remote_login_passwordfile='EXCLUSIVE' in your pfile, set up a password file with ORAPWD, restart your DB and make sure it starts up using the pfile and not the spfile, login as sys, grant SYSDBA to Marshe.

You probably eventually want to do #2 unless you want to only experiment with Management Console. I normally don't need all that hooplah and just login NORMAL and not as SYSDBA.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

oracle 8i import fm .txt file

Hi All,

I have installed oracle 8i on my system.And i have created database and also tables in that database.I want to populate that table by importing from .txt file where i have data for that table.

Is there any option in oracle 8i so that i can import from .txt file.
    If no can u plz tell how can achieve this.

Thanks,
    clarify

yes you can load data from a text file, to the tables using a oracle utility called sqlloader, the documentation is available on OTN.

Oracle 8i Enterprise Manager Console Question

Hi,

Thanks,for your reply.I know that we can do with SQL Loader but the thing is we have to upload the tables which has got more than 40 fields.
    so i want to know is there any other option like "import from file" / "export into file",option as in oracle8.

so that i can directly import from file.

Thanks,
    clarify

Re: Oracle 8i Enterprise Manager Console Question

Hi All,

Thanks.

My problem is ----

I installed Oracle 8i , and i want to use OMS(oracle management server) . OMS is up and i am not able to export/import the data from files/data into files , the files i am using is .txt files.But i am getting the success message.But the file is not there.

can you please solve this prob

bye,
    clarify