Thread: Server crashes

Unanswered: Server crashes

We are network admins at a college, with no database experience at all. We use an Altiris product which uses SQL to maintain a database. Our database is OK, but the transaction log has grown to 24 Gb and has caused a slowdown. When we try to back up the database in preparation for shrinking it to the recommended 100 Mb, the server seems to start the backup but crashes (restarts) after a few minutes. Has the situation got out of hand i.e. with files so big, is our server never going to be able to work with it? Or are we missing something obvious?

Any information on resolving the situation gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Denis

PS

How big is the hard drive?

What is the recovery model set to?

Do you have the sql server client tools installed?

Sounds like you don't have a backup strategy...

Also it sounds like your logs are set for unrestricted growth...

If you don't dump the database and the logs, what you';re seeing will happen...

If you set the recovery model to simple, you just have to dump the database and not worry about the logs...

If you need to recvover to a point in time, you should dump the logs...

How come you don't have a dba?

Should be 1 or 2 lying around the campus....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Re: Server crashes

Originally posted by ardee
    We are network admins at a college, with no database experience at all. We use an Altiris product which uses SQL to maintain a database. Our database is OK, but the transaction log has grown to 24 Gb and has caused a slowdown. When we try to back up the database in preparation for shrinking it to the recommended 100 Mb, the server seems to start the backup but crashes (restarts) after a few minutes. Has the situation got out of hand i.e. with files so big, is our server never going to be able to work with it? Or are we missing something obvious?

Any information on resolving the situation gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Denis

PS
    Altiris Captures masses of information, we use it on our site, and our transaction logs regualry reach 1GB per day, until we got them to customise what they were actually tracking.

Instead of backing up the whole database, try just performing a transaction log backup, which has an implicit truncate. When performing a full DB backup it will try and backup both the DB and Log. I presume your DB would be in the region of around 40GB? So you would need at least 70GB of extra disk space, and backing that up takes so long some other process may upset the whole process.

So try and get the trans log backed up and truncated, then remember to shrink the file as I believe SQL Server like most other db's does not relinquish grabbed space for temp / log files once got. You can perform a specific log shrink through EM.

Good luck.