Unanswered: Creating new database instance

Hi,

I just installed Oracle 8i on my local computer. What I want to do is to create a new database instance and then import a dump into it. This way I can access the database on my local machine only and not on the network.

Does anyone know of a way to create a new database instance?
    I search the Internet for this, and I read that I need to use "svrmgrl" but I cannot find this.

Thanks

Re: Creating new database instance

If you want to create a database in your machine is because you have installed on it the Oracle server.

Do you have the Oracle Server in your machine ?
    Joel Pérez

I'm not sure what you mean by instance, because i'm just switched from sql server to oracle. So the terms instance/database are very confusing right now.

I create a new database using the Database administration -> database configuration assistant. hope this is the answer you are looking for.

Database: are the files ( datafiles )
    Instances: processes & memory that handle the database
    Joel Pérez

Yes, I have Oracle on my computer. I'm relatively new to Oracle myself, so I'm not sure if there are different editions of Oracle, i.e "Server" edition? I have SQL Plus, INTYPE File Assistant, Net 8 Assistant, etc... installed. I can also access databases on the network from SQL Plus.

Right now, I have a dump of a database on the network, and I would like to create a database on my computer locally and then import the dump into the new database.

I tried looking for the "Database Configuration Assistant" but I can't find it. Do I have the wrong thing installed?

You may installed only the Oracle Client piece. You may need to look to see if you can install the Oracle Server version. That will give you the Database Creation Assistant... You can look in you services that are running on your machine and see if you have an "OracleServicexxxxx".
    If so, then you already have the server version of Oracle installed. If not, you may only have the Client piece.

HTH
    Gregg

I think gbraham might be right. You may have only installed the oracle client not the database server itself.

When you first installed the database server it would have asked for a service name. Do you record ever providing a service name? If I remembered correctly, when you install the local database it automatically registers its self in the list of service names that is viewable through Oracle's Net Manager (Oracle 9i) I think they call it something else in Oracle 8.

Agree with Gregg.

You only installed the developer suite.
    Grab the Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition (or Standard Edition) disk and do another install. You need to specify you want to install the Administrator suite which SHOULD create a database for you right off the bat.

my 9i disks just say "Oracle 9i Database" but there are 3 of them.

a screen should always pop up on installation that asks what type of install you want to perform.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Yeah, I installed only Oracle Client on my computer.

Today, I installed Oracle Server and also created a database. The problem is that I can't connect to that database. I tried connecting using DBA Studio with the host name and the SID with the same SID provided when I created the database.

The error is: ORA 12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist.

What is the host name? Is it the name of my local machine?

Thanks

Smile

Hi ,

For ORA 12545, one of the solution is search for host*.* in your system, edit the file and at the end of the file add the IP address and name of the system where the database is installed.Already there will b one entry at the end of the file,to that add the specified parameters.In ur case since the database is installed in the same machine where you are getting the error just add the IP address of your system and name.Hope this to solve your problem.

If the problem still persists turn off the connection pooling.It would have turn on.

Hi, I finally got it working! I changed the host to "localhost" and also turned on the listener.

Thanks

Originally posted by blue8173
    Hi, I finally got it working! I changed the host to "localhost" and also turned on the listener.

Thanks
    WHOOO-HOOO!!
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...