Unanswered: missing data/rows

Hello,

I have a sql 2000 database in which reports are generated on a monthly basis from the data inside on of my tables. The reports have been working fine, until some of the rows seemed to have disappered!

I know the data use to be in the table, since it is showing on the old reports, however, when I try to pull that same data, it is not in the database at all.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this or how I can resolve??

Thxs!!

Re: missing data/rows

Originally posted by vbqueen
    Hello,

I have a sql 2000 database in which reports are generated on a monthly basis from the data inside on of my tables. The reports have been working fine, until some of the rows seemed to have disappered!

I know the data use to be in the table, since it is showing on the old reports, however, when I try to pull that same data, it is not in the database at all.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this or how I can resolve??

Thxs!!
    Two things come to mind, if the sql used has constraints on date values and now those data which are missing are now outwith the selected ranges, which is why they are missing. Or someone deleted the data, and you have to look at your backups and do a couple of restores into new databases to see if the data is there, and if so just copy it across to the current db, taking into account identity columns may be active etc.

The data usually does not just dissapear, there is normally a good reason why its not brought back in the query.

Rgds,
    Rob.

Originally posted by jimskit
    Two things come to mind, if the sql used has constraints on date values and now those data which are missing are now outwith the selected ranges, which is why they are missing. Or someone deleted the data, and you have to look at your backups and do a couple of restores into new databases to see if the data is there, and if so just copy it across to the current db, taking into account identity columns may be active etc.

The data usually does not just dissapear, there is normally a good reason why its not brought back in the query.

Rgds,
    Rob.
    Thanks, but I know the data is no longer in the database. I can pull without a date range and it does not return those rows.

We also do not have backups - there was a problem with the tapes - so I cannot restore or even look at another copy.

any other thoughts??

Originally posted by vbqueen
    Thanks, but I know the data is no longer in the database. I can pull without a date range and it does not return those rows.

We also do not have backups - there was a problem with the tapes - so I cannot restore or even look at another copy.

any other thoughts??

I presume you have no transaction log backups either then..In that case I don't know of any way to get the data back.

If you database has not been backed up then that could mean that the transaction log has not been truncated, and therefore they may be some transaction log mining tool like on eused in oracle. But I don't know of one for sql? But normally if there are no backups then its bad news i'm afraid.

Rgds,
    Rob.

Lumigents' LogExplorer.....

And data just doesn't "disappear"...an action occured to remove it...

either that or the understanding of what the query does needs to be looked at more closely

But I'd say you have bigger problems than running a report and getting unexpected results...

make sure your db maint. is more secure....

if a dump fails, you (or someone) should be notified immediatley...
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.