Unanswered: Error starting OMS on Win2000

I was given a laptop with Windows2000 and Oracle 8i installed. No configuration was made to the installation... it's just a raw database install with only the default accounts active.

I need to import a dump file containing a database. So, I attempted to start OMS by going into the Services panel. When I try to start it, though, I receive the following message:

Could not start the OracleOraHome81ManagementServer service on Local Computer.

Error 997: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

I'm using Oracle since it's the backend chosen for a particular Java web application I've inherited and need to perform emergency maintenance on. I have zero Oracle experience, so I'm at a loss as to how to correct this error (I'm also a UNIX guy, so if it's a Window's issue I have no idea how to fix it). Since I was the only person with Java web development experience, I was the one they dumped this on with short notice. If anyone could give me a hand correcting this problem, I would be immensely greatful.

Thank you,
    Curt

down on the cube farm, left then right then another left
    If you are running a standalone database you should run the standalone management server (it connects directly to the DB versus using the management server). Look in programs->oracle {stuff}. you should find it listed there.
    NOTE: Please disregard the label "Senior Member".