Question Tables without primary keys???

How to implement many-to-many relationship correctly?
    I have Jobs and Empolyees tables. The rules are: One_Job_Can_Be_Assigned_To_Many_Employees
    and
    One_Employee_Can_Be_Assigned_To_Many_Jobs

I use JobsEmployees table that have 2 fields, jobID and EmployeeID, No primary key. As i know that is not good design to have tables without primary keys.
    So, is there any other way to implement many-to-many relationship?

Any help is appreciated...
    Last edited by habibs; 01-21-04 at 09:05.

Re: Tables without primary keys???

Originally posted by habibs
    How to implement many-to-many relationship correctly?
    I have Jobs and Empolyees tables. The rules are: One_Job_Can_Be_Assigned_To_Many_Employees
    and
    One_Employee_Can_Be_Assigned_To_Many_Jobs

I use JobsEmployees table that have 2 fields, jobID and EmployeeID, No primary key. As i know that is not good design to have tables without primary keys.
    So, is there any other way to implement many-to-many relationship?

Any help is appreciated...
    Habibs,
    As far as I have been taught and always implemented in my tables I use Primary Keys. You seem to have it down right. For a many-to-many relationship both of your main tables should have a PrimaryKey set. Then you create what some call a JoinTable or UnionTable and set both of your primary keys ONLY in that table...which then they are considered ForeignKeys. From that point on your data should work well, as I have a table just for that purpose myself. Have a nice one.
    Bud

Re: Tables without primary keys???

You should add a primary key to the JobEmployees table on the pair of columns (jobID, EmployeeID).

Hi Bud and Andrew, thanks for your replies. Just reviewed Northwind database that is in MSSqlServer and figured out the situation.
    There are two tables , EmployeeTeritories and CustomerCustomerDemo showing the solution for this situation. In both tables, FK's defined as pair-PK's as andrewst suggested.