Unanswered: Displaying fields with value only

How can I hide empty fields in a report? The table "Batch" which I'm using has the fields "City", "State" and "Province". Now when I pull a report I want the fields which have a value entered in them only to be displayed. That is; if for a particular record; the field "City" and "State" have values in them and the field "Province" is a blank then only "City"
    and "State" should be displayed and the field name "Province" with a blank value should not appear and the next record should immediately follow without leaving any space. In a nutshell only a field with value should appear on a report otherwise the field with no value should be hidden. Can anyone help?
    sahil

You could try the following :

-remove all the labels on your report
    -create a query to use as recordsource instead of your table
    -in that query, concatenate the labeltext with the entry of the field if there is one.

I explain :
    normally, in the grid for your query, you would put [City] if you want to have the name of the city in the query result.
    When you replace this with the following :
    CityText : IIF(IsNull([City]);"";"City : " & [City])
    the result will be empty if the field [City] is empty. If the field [City] is not empty (suppose NewYork is entered), the result will be :
    'City : NewYork'

When you now use CityText as source for the textfields on your report, you do not need to use labels and therefore they will not appear on empty fields.

I know it looks complicated on first sight but try it!

Wink

Another way to do this is by using wildcards

Under the queries criteria type:

Like "*"

This should return only true values ommiting any blank spaces.

Originally posted by christyxo
    Another way to do this is by using wildcards

Under the queries criteria type:

Like "*"

This should return only true values ommiting any blank spaces.
    Sorry dude, no will do!
    Our friend raoof698 wants to display half the record on his report. Your solution will still display the labels on the report, even if the field is empty.

Yep you're right. Sorry about that.

Thats a nice little touch there,

I like your style man!

Herman,
    That sounds good! I tried putting the condition you gave in the query, but it gives me a syntax error; Also can you help me with the query since I'm preparing the database and reports in MS ACCESS. Thanx in advance
    sahil

The code I gave is not the condition in the query, it's the query itself.
    I'd like to send you the example but as i'm at my work, our net policy does not allow sending or receiving files by internet (yes, i know, it sucks...)

But here is the SQL-script for an example :

SELECT IIf(IsNull([City]),"","City : " & [City]) AS CityText, IIf(IsNull([State]),"","State : " & [State]) AS StateText, IIf(IsNull([Province]),"","Province : " & [Province]) AS ProvinceText
    FROM tblAddresses;

Simply copy the script above and put it in a query. It assumes a table tblAddresses with the fields City, State and Province.

You might get a syntax error on the delimiter. Depending on your regional settings, you might need to use a "," instead of a ";" in the script

Once you have the query, simply build a report on it but don't use any labels for the fields.

Good luck

thanks for the help guys.
    sahil

Hiding fields with no value

Totally new to Access, as in 2 months, I am having roughly the same issue, if I understand it correctly.
    When I run a report from a query in Access 2007 it brings back empty cells which leave empty spaces in the report. I would like to hide the empty spaces and have everything move up/left or right (basically adjust for the hidden cell). If I enter ‘isnull’ in the criteria it excludes the whole line. Everything in the line, I just want the empty cell excluded/hidden

The query reports on: Name, University, and Graduation date

The report looks like:
    Name: John Doe
    University: Kansas State University
    Graduation date: 8/1/2006
    Name: Jane Doe
    University: Kansas University
    Graduation date: 8/1/2007

If there is no data in a cell it looks like this:

I would like for it to exclude or hid the empty cell, looking like this:
    Last edited by reignmaniac; 06-22-11 at 18:09.

I forgot

Herman
    Not sure what you mean by put the script in a query, totally new to Access.
    SELECT IIf(IsNull([City]),"","City : " & [City]) AS CityText, IIf(IsNull([State]),"","State : " & [State]) AS StateText, IIf(IsNull([Province]),"","Province : " & [Province]) AS ProvinceText
    FROM tblAddresses;f