Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    27

    Unanswered: Postgre SQL Newbie!

    Hi,

    I'm totally new to this and wanted to start learning about this ORDBMS. Can someone pls guide me to which version to install and how to fully utilize it to the max?
    I went to the website and there are so many files, i just don't know which one should i download...pls help!

    Thank you very much!
    Last edited by jacky_cheecheo; 01-21-04 at 06:47.
    Warm Regards,
    Jacky

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19

    Re: Postgre SQL Newbie!

    If your using NT, just download MySQL. If you are using Linux, you should already have postgreSQL.
    Originally posted by jacky_cheecheo
    Hi,

    I'm totally new to this and wanted to start learning about this ORDBMS. Can someone pls guide me to which version to install and how to fully utilize it to the max?
    I went to the website and there are so many files, i just don't know which one should i download...pls help!

    Thank you very much!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    32
    If you're using NT, take a look at this link:

    http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/Windows

    MySQL is easy to install on NT, but doesn't have some features that PostgreSQL has. Stored procedures and sub selects are two things that persuaded me to switch from MySQL to PostgreSQL.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19
    Stored procedures are a huge plus if you need to use them. Server-side pl/sql manipulaion is much more efficient (if you need it). If you do, then PostgreSQL is better. If so, you should really look into setting up a Linux database server. It's more complicated but there is no quick and easy Windows solution without paying a heavy price.

    Originally posted by stacey_richards
    If you're using NT, take a look at this link:

    http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/Windows

    MySQL is easy to install on NT, but doesn't have some features that PostgreSQL has. Stored procedures and sub selects are two things that persuaded me to switch from MySQL to PostgreSQL.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26

    Re: Postgre SQL Newbie!

    First of all, try to measure the project and then choose a RDBMS. PostgreSql it's stable and fast, It has many features that other open source RDBMS doesn't have. But don't think that Store procedures are so good as they say. I think that the procedural language it's a little bit poor.
    Also take a look to MySql 5 Alpha. It's on test development but now can handle Store procedures. Although it's so poor or less as postgre is now. Many things that are supposed to be server side, now a days are client-side. Only commercial RDBMS provide complete server-side solution. Also, take a look to this forum and you will see.
    Good luck.


    Originally posted by jacky_cheecheo
    Hi,

    I'm totally new to this and wanted to start learning about this ORDBMS. Can someone pls guide me to which version to install and how to fully utilize it to the max?
    I went to the website and there are so many files, i just don't know which one should i download...pls help!

    Thank you very much!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19

    Re: Postgre SQL Newbie!

    I made that point before. However, try running queries for reports client-side when you have millions of records and stored procedures. You don't notice the benefits of running queries and stored procedures through the DB engine (not just server-side) until you have to. PostgreSQL is the only non-commercial server-side solution that I know of that is free and does this. It's not bad for a lot of commercial solutions. Whould I use it to run amazon.com: no. Would I use it to develop and sell an integrated commercial system with less performance requirements: yes.

    Originally posted by Margodth
    First of all, try to measure the project and then choose a RDBMS. PostgreSql it's stable and fast, It has many features that other open source RDBMS doesn't have. But don't think that Store procedures are so good as they say. I think that the procedural language it's a little bit poor.
    Also take a look to MySql 5 Alpha. It's on test development but now can handle Store procedures. Although it's so poor or less as postgre is now. Many things that are supposed to be server side, now a days are client-side. Only commercial RDBMS provide complete server-side solution. Also, take a look to this forum and you will see.
    Good luck.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    27
    hi vidman, i did thought of setting up a database server for myself but i just dunno how to start as i'm a total noobs with Linux.
    Recently, i've installed RH9 in another computer of mine in a home networking environment..Just trying out new stuff for myself. From some ppl here, i know that PostGreSQL comes with the OS but where can i create tables or other things like create user (consider me poor in PL/SQL)?

    This will be the only computer in my house that will have Linux installed, so i want the rest of the computers to connect to this so called database server (which is a lousy computer) from my win32 pcs. Please advice!
    Warm Regards,
    Jacky

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    110
    If you are totally new to databases i personally would recommend using mysql unless you are willing to spend a whole lotta time in database exploring.

    Also, if you just want to explore postgresql, you can do this on a windows machine as well.
    Im currently running postgresql 7.4.1 on a windows2003 server.

    http://php.weblogs.com/discuss/post_tips

    -Ed

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    27
    not to say that i'm totally new to database. It's just that the computer that i'm working with is taking too much of a load. You see, i have altogether 3 different types of database running in this computer and it's taking too much of the resource that i have. I was hoping that i could use another computer as a database server. And based on the fact that i'm such a poor noobs with RH9, i hope that someone can point me to a tutorial on how to install oracle 8i on my RH. Trust me, i'm really new to Linux and i dun even know where to find the calculator in the OS when i needed one..lol
    Warm Regards,
    Jacky

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •