Unanswered: looking for an object_id in all tables

Hi,

I use a DB2-database with over 180 tables (these tables describe the object model of data management system) and I try to find out how these tables work together. For this cause I would like to search for a special value (for example for an object_id which is unique and appaires in many tables in columns with different names) without knowing in what table or what column to search. I would like to find out in which tables and in which columns this value appaires.

Is there an SQL-Statement or a tool which can do this?

Thanks a lot for any help

Re: looking for an object_id in all tables

If I understand it right, you are looking for a way to find out all occurances of a given column name in different tables. The following query could do it:

SELECT NAME, TBNAME
    FROM SYSIBM.SYSCOLUMNS
    WHERE LOWER(NAME) = LOWER('object_id')
    ORDER BY TBNAME

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Abdul

Originally posted by csorvy
    Hi,

I use a DB2-database with over 180 tables (these tables describe the object model of data management system) and I try to find out how these tables work together. For this cause I would like to search for a special value (for example for an object_id which is unique and appaires in many tables in columns with different names) without knowing in what table or what column to search. I would like to find out in which tables and in which columns this value appaires.

Is there an SQL-Statement or a tool which can do this?

Thanks a lot for any help

Re: looking for an object_id in all tables

That helps, but I am looking for something else. I am looking for a special value in all columns in all tables. I do not know what the names of the tables is, neither do I know the names of the columns. I have only a special value, like the surename of a user e.g.: Alexander or an ID like 03473845599388.

So there may be three tables with some columns and I would like to find out which columns in which tables contains the value "Alexander" or the ID 03473845599388.

the result should be something like this:

Table Column

Both tables my_friends and birthdays may contain the value "Alexander" but the first one contains it in the column surename the second one in name.

Originally posted by amajid
    If I understand it right, you are looking for a way to find out all occurances of a given column name in different tables. The following query could do it:

SELECT NAME, TBNAME
    FROM SYSIBM.SYSCOLUMNS
    WHERE LOWER(NAME) = LOWER('object_id')
    ORDER BY TBNAME

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Abdul

No chance