Unhappy Unanswered: Where to go from here?

Hi Guys,

I'm kinda new to DB programming but I've done a little research on what's currently in the market. I've decided to take SQL and C++ (or possibly JAVA) using MS SQL Server as main entry.

I'm still confused though with so many platforms available, but at least I'm sure of SQL so where do I go from there?

SQL then T-SQL, MS SQL Server, C++ db prog, JAVA/JDBC?

Is that a good track? How would it be if I did PL/SQL and Oracle or Delphi instead of C++/JAVA?

Should I stick to Windows or should I study other OSes like Linux and therefore be familiar with SQL thru MySQL as well?

Utterly lost. Can someone lead the way?

I have about 1 year to be good at this with 6 months of free time. I've started my 1st month on SQL-92 (only to learn that SQL-99 is out).

I do have SQL Server 7 running on a Win2k Pro, some C and JAVA background and a little bit of Pascal. I've done Linux but use Windows mostly.

Appreciate the help. Thanks.

Re: Where to go from here?

Personally I would learn Oracle SQL. The largest companies all run Oracle, and its the easiest and most marketable skill in my opinion. SQL is a standard, although Oracle has its own keywords and practices. If you learn Oracle SQL, you can adapt that to other databases with ease.

I would also recommend learning PL/SQL as most development requires some extra programming. Personally speaking I would stay away from the Microsoft route and go with Oracle! Every company needs reports run, so you can start at the bottom programming reports and move up the ladder.

As far as platforms, dont worry so much about learning Unix if you dont know it. Stick with learning the SQL part of it, and you can learn the Unix as you go. Ive done fine and know little to no Unix.

that helps, thanks

Ok. that's a fresh insight. I was thinking of Oracle and PL/SQL in the background. Thank you.