Unanswered: Transaction Log Backup Job Fails

Our Transaction Log backup job runs every two hours from 7:00am to 8:59pm. Today, our Full backup job and the first Transaction Lob backup job ran successfully. Subsequent Transaction Log Backups have failed with the following error message under Job History:

"The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 13 (Schedule 1). The last step to run was step 1 (Step 1)."

The caveats are that the database is in Full recovery mode and a .TRN file is generated on the server. Also, the SQL Server log says the job ran successfully. Any ideas?

Can you post the details of each step in the log backup job? And what do you get if you run the job in QA?

Are you refering to Job History Details? The SQL Server log and Event Viewer Application log don't really give much information.

Also, I am new to SQL Server and not sure how to extract the SQL statements to paste into QA.

I meant go in the job preperties -> Steps tab -> Edit -> command, and lighlight and paste in email. That is the actual code executed to backup logs.

EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_sqlmaint N'-PlanID DCF901E9-DF4B-4D68-B4FE-705848398F30 -VrfyBackup -BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpLog "f:\sql data\mssql\BACKUP" -DelBkUps 2WEEKS -CrBkSubDir -BkExt "TRN"'

Is the disk space enough to hold the log back file?

Yes. Something strange happened when I checked the jobs the next day: the problem disappeared! Weird, huh.