Cool Unanswered: Informix SQL Editor - Knowledge of ISQL (ingres interactive SQL editor)

ive started a new job and are transferring my ISQL (Interactive SQL editor in Ingres) skills to put to use with Informix SQL editor.

However a few things I need to know ...

In ingres I could use QBF to display the records in the table in a table format and scroll down. The informix sql editor on unix (sorry i dont know what version) only allows me to run SQL and then browse one record at a time using next keys.

Is there a way to see the whole contents of the table ?

Also In ISQL i could use "help" to list table names, in informix there is an option called "Info".

I assume I can use this option and type a single table name to find out the table structure ?

Also on a huge database i have to scroll down the list of tables (this is very slow and tedious) Any tips for searching through tables quicker ?

Sorry if this sounds a little confusing and vague, im very new to informix.

There are help pages though they arent great, anyone know a good online manual or document i can read to take me up to speed ?

Re: Informix SQL Editor - Knowledge of ISQL (ingres interactive SQL editor)

Hi Rob,

You could use a GUI tool to access your database. You will require Informix client for it, which you can download from -
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data...ix/tools/csdk/
    Then you must create a new system dsn thru ODBC
    Then you can download Winsql tool (similar to toad)
    The link is -
    http://www.indus-soft.com/SynametricsWebApp/WinSQL.jsp
    After this you will be able to connect to the database. Its a very useful GUI tool.

Best Regards,

Lloyd

Originally posted by rob@tyketto
    ive started a new job and are transferring my ISQL (Interactive SQL editor in Ingres) skills to put to use with Informix SQL editor.

However a few things I need to know ...

In ingres I could use QBF to display the records in the table in a table format and scroll down. The informix sql editor on unix (sorry i dont know what version) only allows me to run SQL and then browse one record at a time using next keys.

Is there a way to see the whole contents of the table ?

Also In ISQL i could use "help" to list table names, in informix there is an option called "Info".

I assume I can use this option and type a single table name to find out the table structure ?

Also on a huge database i have to scroll down the list of tables (this is very slow and tedious) Any tips for searching through tables quicker ?

Sorry if this sounds a little confusing and vague, im very new to informix.

There are help pages though they arent great, anyone know a good online manual or document i can read to take me up to speed ?