Unanswered: access db multiple users

hi,

I have an access database on a network.
    Is it possible to edit,enter,receive data with multiple users @ the same time?

thx!
    daff
    ... man man man ...

It is possible, as long as neither used has oppened the respective database in exclusive mode. Normally Access is using a row-locking mechanism, so two or more users could updated different rouws in the same table, in the same time.

On the other hand, "many" users is a relative number. The response time of the database increases rapidly with the number of concurrent users, so you might consider migrating your database to SQL Server.

Originally posted by marp
    It is possible, as long as neither used has oppened the respective database in exclusive mode. Normally Access is using a row-locking mechanism, so two or more users could updated different rouws in the same table, in the same time.

On the other hand, "many" users is a relative number. The response time of the database increases rapidly with the number of concurrent users, so you might consider migrating your database to SQL Server.
    is there a way that they don't open the database standard in Exclusive mode? Or how can i prevent this, explain the users how to do this.
    It won't be more as 3 - 4 users at the same time working on the database, so sql is not needed i think.

thx
    ... man man man ...

You can specifiy if a certain database is to be opened into shared or exclusive mode by using a certain option in the command line. So, you can create on every clien machine a batch file that would open the database only in shared mode. See the Access help for this.

I think you cold look also into <Tools> <Options> , I think you have also there an option speciffying hoow you like to open a database.

3 - 4 users should pose no problem...

Originally posted by daff
    is there a way that they don't open the database standard in Exclusive mode? Or how can i prevent this, explain the users how to do this.
    It won't be more as 3 - 4 users at the same time working on the database, so sql is not needed i think.

thx

thx
    Also you can do this to:
    Install in every clien machine your program like an MDE format, this are
    linked with the Data Base in the server machine of the network.
    In your program you set how the users open the data base.
    This way is more fast.
    I have a System with 5 users and a Data Base of 380 Mb and work fine.
    Saludos
    Norberto

Originally posted by Norberto
    Also you can do this to:
    Install in every clien machine your program like an MDE format, this are
    linked with the Data Base in the server machine of the network.
    In your program you set how the users open the data base.
    This way is more fast.
    I have a System with 5 users and a Data Base of 380 Mb and work fine.
    what do you mean with mde format?
    thx
    ... man man man ...

what do you mean with mde format?
    thx
    Is a Date Base compiled, see in the Help of Access MDE file
    Saludos
    Norberto