Unhappy Unanswered: Snapshot generation slows down system

Hi

I need to access valuable DB2 snapshot information for the database, buffer pool, table, statement, application to use in a script. The snapshot has to be generated every 10 minutes for this. Unfortunately generating the snaphot slows down the system and the database.

Is there any way I can get the information internally without generating the snapshot again and again?

trimi

Hi,

Why do you need snapshot every 10 secounds?

If you would like to track e.g. deadlocks or any other event, then you probably need event monitor. See book "System Monitor Guide and Reference" charapter 4: "Using Event Monitors".

Can you please specify operating system type, version, and db2 version and fixpacks. You can read Must Read before posting thread for more advanced tips.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Hi Grofaty,

Thanks for the tips. I need the snapshot every 10 minutes (and not seconds) because a customer wants graphs drawn from the monitor values for example buffer pool reads, writes and hits with values taken every 10 minutes. These are the requirements and I cannot change it. The customer also has a very volatile database and these values change frequently.

The DB2 version is 7.2, running on different supported Linux, Windows and Unix platforms.

Also I am not tracking events like deadlocks but changes in 50-55 values which see to be found in the snapshot. Running commnds to generate the snapshot every time is obviously causing a lot of overhead but I am not aware of any other way to get the data.

Thanks
    trimi

Turned on monitor switches in itself is an overhead ... Taking snapshots are also an overhead especially if your system is constrained of resources ...

You may try doing the snapshot from a client machine ... You can also make use of the snapshot apis to get the info ... Atleast this will reduce the 'effort' required on the server side to process the results and present ...

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

thanks! Will try the APIs

Ooops .. missed to mention that there is a sample C program for lock snapshot in sqllib/samples/c named dbsnap.c

BTW, in my personal time I'm working on something similar to collect and generate performance reports .. If you are interested PM me .. We can work together and see if we can compliment each others' skill and come out with something nice and useful

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.