Thumbs up Unanswered: Multiple Sybase servers with the same name

Hello, your site and the people who run it are top notch, thanks.

We are trying to test different application versions that require different versions of Sybase. Is it possible to have a server named Sybase_Prod (which is 12.5.03) and another Sybase_Prod (which is 12.5.1) on the same machine?

Thanks for all the help.

Chris Varnes

Yeah sure... on UNIX platforms it is a breeze. All you have to work about is supply each with unique port numbers and on the cliet machines that connect to it use unique entries for the interfaces or the sql.ini file.

If it's Windows, (God I hate that registry concept).. yeah some fiddling with the registry entries is possible to get it work. I wouldn't do it though.

Thanks Willie_*

Let me word my question differently, since 12.5x directory structure starts with the ASE directory, how would I lay an upgrade patch to upgrade one Sybase server from 12.5.0.3 to 12.5.1 and keep the other Sybase server with the same name, on the same machine at the 12.5.0.3 version. I know this is complicated, but the powers that be won't give us another box to work with.

Thanks for your help.
    Chris Varnes

now that isn't possible if you are running both the servers off a single installation. The reason I say this is the 12.5.1 upgrade is 2 pronged. You replace your binaries in the install directory as well as the server using the installmaster script.

However, if you have 2 seperate installations on the same machine then yes.. it is possible to have 2 seperate releases running on the same machine with the ASE servername. This though might breach the Software licensing agreement. I'm not sure about the "legal" things.

That's what I thought. Just found out we can get another box, problem solved.

Thanks again!