Red face Unanswered: Please help - space, backup & restore?

Howdy all. I work on some ibm unix (aix) systems that use informix. We have a big main system and a smaller test system, and we want to save our database from our main system and restore it to test using ontape - just for some temporary testing. I am wondering a couple of things:

#1 how to compare the space available on both to make sure we can accomodate the database from one server on the other

#2 if we need some additional temporary space on the test system is it possible to use cooked files in addition to the raw space it already uses? Dont have the disk on the test machine now for cooked files, but I do have plenty of flat, normal unix disk.Performance is not an issue that would stop me from mixing cooked and raw if its possible. This is for functionality testing, so performance is not a concern.

Appreciate any advice or comments. i posted to no response in tek-tips already so I am beginning to wonder if my question is really dumb!

Re: Please help - space, backup & restore?

Howdy to you,
    Before anything else...

What version of IDS and AIX are we talking about?

I think the biggest question here is the system you are restoring to already running Informix and using the same link names for your chunks as the larger system?

You can figure out how much space is being used through onstat -d .

You can use raw and cooked but you cannot restore raw to cooked if that is the question.

Regards,
    DBAgirl

Originally posted by WiccaChic
    Howdy all. I work on some ibm unix (aix) systems that use informix. We have a big main system and a smaller test system, and we want to save our database from our main system and restore it to test using ontape - just for some temporary testing. I am wondering a couple of things:

#1 how to compare the space available on both to make sure we can accomodate the database from one server on the other

#2 if we need some additional temporary space on the test system is it possible to use cooked files in addition to the raw space it already uses? Dont have the disk on the test machine now for cooked files, but I do have plenty of flat, normal unix disk.Performance is not an issue that would stop me from mixing cooked and raw if its possible. This is for functionality testing, so performance is not a concern.

Appreciate any advice or comments. i posted to no response in tek-tips already so I am beginning to wonder if my question is really dumb!