Unanswered: Lost connectivity to remote sql databases

Yesterday, at 7 am, I was able to connect to remote databases from Enterprise Manager. Then at 11 am, I started getting "General Network Error" and connections failed. This happened on all my remote databases, so the problem is not the remote server. (I did check.) I have Comcast Broadband cable access to the internet. I can still access the internet, email, and ftp servers, just not the sql port. I rebooted my entire system several times. Today, I took my computer to a friend's house, and was able to successfully connect to the remote databases fom Enterprise Manager, so the problem is not on my computer. (I did check for the sql worm, and downloaded the McAfee Fix program, but it didn't find anything, and confirmed that the Service Pack 3 fixes were in place.)
    I also tried connecting directly to my cable modem, but that did not work, so it doesn't seem to be my router or firewall. I contacted Comcast and they are not blocking port 1433. I don't know what else to try. I don't think the problem is on my computer or the software.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

but if you said you took your pc to your friend and was able to successfully connect, then it very well may be either your router, your firewall, or your isp.

re: Lost connectivity to remote databases

Thanks for replying. I tried connecting directly through the cable modem (thus bypassing my router and firewall -- unless the modem has a firewall), and was unsuccessful. I contacted Comcast, and they said it wasn't their problem. They said I had to contact the software manufacturer (never mind that the software works just fine at a different location!)

Could the modem have gone bad? I can't think how the firewall could have changed all by itself. Any ideas?

have you tried registering servers by ip as well?

Some are registered by name, but others have always been registered by ip. I can't connect to any of them, so I don't think that's a factor. I do appreciate all the suggestions.

I think I am going to have to contact Comcast again. I can't remember if they installed the modem box, or that was something we had to buy separately. I wonder if it needs replacing.

Provided Answers: 11
    Make sure to ask Comcast if they are blocking port 1433. This is the default port for SQL Server.

Yes, I already did that - they said they are not blocking it. I was wondering if perhaps they were doing work in my area, or had a problem with a substation (or whatever they call it), but they didn't get my gist. I am beginning to suspect the modem box itself. So maybe I can get them to send someone out with a new box, and at that point I would have a live body here to witness my issue.

Hey, magic!!!! It's working now!!! So I guess it WAS Comcast! Hmmmm!

Provided Answers: 11
    Where's Brett when you need him? A miracle again!

You never told us what error you were getting when failing to connect via EM. Was it something like "Server doesn't exist or access is denied" ?