Unanswered: oracle8i installation

Hi,

I am trying to install Oracle8i on my Win2K but it does not start. All I get is the first screen. When I click on the Install/Deinstall Products, nothing happens. It looks like only the autorun.exe works and setup.exe is no working. It was working the first time I installed Oracle8i. The CD was well kept and it is not scratched. Can anyone help??

thanks.

you havent mentioned what OS or version your installing...most people will be aware of a common problem with 81X and p4 machines if that is the case see below:

Workaround 1: 1. Create a temporary directory on your server. 2. Copy the entire contents of the Oracle RDBMS Server CD to the temporary directory created in step 1. 3. Search the directory structure created in Step 1 for the existence of the filename symcjit.dll. 4. Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old. 5. Run the setup.exe from the install\win32 directory (under the directory on your hard disk used in Step 1) and install Oracle 8.1.x and related products.

Originally posted by zaki_mtk
    you havent mentioned what OS or version your installing...most people will be aware of a common problem with 81X and p4 machines if that is the case see below:

Workaround 1: 1. Create a temporary directory on your server. 2. Copy the entire contents of the Oracle RDBMS Server CD to the temporary directory created in step 1. 3. Search the directory structure created in Step 1 for the existence of the filename symcjit.dll. 4. Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old. 5. Run the setup.exe from the install\win32 directory (under the directory on your hard disk used in Step 1) and install Oracle 8.1.x and related products.
    I believe that Win2K is an OS!! And 8i is a valid Oracle ver.!!

Alexx do a search for the P4 bug.
    It sounds like you are running into the infamous P4 bug.

Originally posted by tlael
    I believe that Win2K is an OS!! And 8i is a valid Oracle ver.!!

Alexx do a search for the P4 bug.
    It sounds like you are running into the infamous P4 bug.

hmm!! either way you have the solution!! :-)