Unanswered: Stored procedures

I'm trying to create a procedure. It's not very long (about 40 lines) and the syntax is OK. I can save it without any problems. But when I open it I see that the procedures last few lines are missing. I can't save them. When I delete some spacing and remove some fields from my SELECT, then it saves a bit more but still not all of it.

In HELP file it says the limit is 64kb but this procedure is not even 1kb long. Should I modify configuration file? And how?

Provided Answers: 4
    Does the procedure run? What happens if you issue a "Select * from X$PROC"? Does it return the whole text of the procedure? There was a defect in Pervasive.SQL 2000i that prevents the whole procedure from displaying. Make sure you're fully patched with to SP4 if you're using 2000i and ideally you should use v8.5 which is the current version.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Originally posted by mirtheil
    Does the procedure run? What happens if you issue a "Select * from X$PROC"? Does it return the whole text of the procedure? There was a defect in Pervasive.SQL 2000i that prevents the whole procedure from displaying. Make sure you're fully patched with to SP4 if you're using 2000i and ideally you should use v8.5 which is the current version.
    I figured it out. The procedure is OK. It's saved properly. The problem was/is the EditWindow. It looks as if it can't display that many characters so it simply cuts them off. I'd call this a bug. I mean, the Edit Window should have no limits regarding the displaying of the procedure text.

Have you reported it to Pervasive? They may already know about and if they don't, wouldn't it be nice if they did fix it in a future release?
    Mirtheil Software

Re: Stored procedures

Hello,

In versions of Pervasive.SQL prior to release V8, the PCC restricted the amount of characters that you could view for a stored procedure to 300. This limit has been increased to 980 in Pervasive.SQL V8.

If you need to edit a stored procedure, but you cannot see the portions beyond 300 characters, here is a work-around.

In SQL Data Manger, execute the following statement
    Select * from "X$Proc"
    (X$Proc is the system table that stores procedures.)
    Click on the TextResults tab and copy the statement.
    Paste the statement into SQL Data Manager Query Pane.
    Edit the statement.
    Then, either drop the existing procedure (Drop Procedure <procedure Name> ) and recreate it with the same name from the edited procedure, or change the procedure name of the edited procedure and create a procedure with a new name.

Regards,
    Tim Meiers
    Pervasive Technical Publications

Originally posted by darlok
    I'm trying to create a procedure. It's not very long (about 40 lines) and the syntax is OK. I can save it without any problems. But when I open it I see that the procedures last few lines are missing. I can't save them. When I delete some spacing and remove some fields from my SELECT, then it saves a bit more but still not all of it.

In HELP file it says the limit is 64kb but this procedure is not even 1kb long. Should I modify configuration file? And how?

Yes, I usually save my sprocs in a .sql file with a
    drop ...
    #
    create..

and save and run from there. Much better for writing sprocs.

"In versions of Pervasive.SQL prior to release V8, the PCC restricted the amount of characters that you could view for a stored procedure to 300. This limit has been increased to 980 in Pervasive.SQL V8. "

I'm just curious - why the 980 line limit? Why not just make it limited to memory like every other program under the sun?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I am not sure why the limit is 980 characters, but I know that the utilities team is aware of the limit.

Thank you for your feedback. I will pass along your suggestion to the utilities team. We continually strive to improve our products and greatly appreciate customer input.

Tim

Originally posted by Dilyias
    Yes, I usually save my sprocs in a .sql file with a
    drop ...
    #
    create..

and save and run from there. Much better for writing sprocs.

"In versions of Pervasive.SQL prior to release V8, the PCC restricted the amount of characters that you could view for a stored procedure to 300. This limit has been increased to 980 in Pervasive.SQL V8. "

I'm just curious - why the 980 line limit? Why not just make it limited to memory like every other program under the sun?

-Eric

"Thank you for your feedback. I will pass along your suggestion to the utilities team. We continually strive to improve our products and greatly appreciate customer input. "

Thanks! It's nice to see representatives of Pervasive out in these forums.

Does Pervasive have an offical "suggestion" forum of sorts?
    How about beta-testing?

Thanks,
    Eric

Closest thing to an official forum would be DevTalk (http://www.pervasive.com/devtalk).
    Mirtheil Software

Eric,

The DevTalk forum on the Pervasive Web site (http://www.pervasive.com/devtalk/) can serve as a suggestion forum, as well as a place to get information. DevTalk is heavily monitored by our developers. In addition, it is divided into various products and releases so that you can zero in directly to what applies to you. If you have not visited the DevTalk forum, I encourage you to check it out.

(You may also find the Component Zone quite useful: http://www.pervasive.com/componentzone/)

We do have beta programs for our products. The best method to inquire about them is to e-mail salessupport@pervasive.com. The sales staff can provide information and direct you to the appropriate product manager.

There is also an e-mail address for general inquiries or comments: info@pervasive.com

Regards,
    Tim

p.s. I passed your suggestion to the utilities team.

Originally posted by Dilyias
    "Thank you for your feedback. I will pass along your suggestion to the utilities team. We continually strive to improve our products and greatly appreciate customer input. "

Thanks! It's nice to see representatives of Pervasive out in these forums.

Does Pervasive have an offical "suggestion" forum of sorts?
    How about beta-testing?

Thanks,
    Eric

Eric,

Just FYI as a follow-up. A change request has been entered into our defect tracking system to remove the 980 character limit. The defect will be fixed in a future release.

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Meiers
    Hi Eric,

I am not sure why the limit is 980 characters, but I know that the utilities team is aware of the limit.

Thank you for your feedback. I will pass along your suggestion to the utilities team. We continually strive to improve our products and greatly appreciate customer input.

Tim

Thanks Tim! I look forward to the next release.

Eric

Originally posted by Tim Meiers
    Eric,

Just FYI as a follow-up. A change request has been entered into our defect tracking system to remove the 980 character limit. The defect will be fixed in a future release.

Tim