Post Unanswered: Connectivity between oracle server and client through dialup network

I installed oracle9i in my office server. and i would like to work with this database from my home itself. but the connectivity between my home and server is through dialup only. is it possible to access the database from server through dialup networking? if possible what should i do eith the network configuration tools?

Re: Connectivity between oracle server and client through dialup network

A simple solution is to open a ssh connection in a PC of your office network where is installed the Oracle client, and from this terminal widows work to DB. Or if you want you can also connect to the PC where is installed the database (the Database Server) with a ssh connection also, and work into DB from sqlplus terminal window.
    I hope you need this help.
    Hi
    Sergio
    Originally posted by umasankaran
    I installed oracle9i in my office server. and i would like to work with this database from my home itself. but the connectivity between my home and server is through dialup only. is it possible to access the database from server through dialup networking? if possible what should i do eith the network configuration tools?

Thumbs up Re: Connectivity between oracle server and client through dialup network

hello sir i cannot understand "ssh connection"?
    Originally posted by straldi
    A simple solution is to open a ssh connection in a PC of your office network where is installed the Oracle client, and from this terminal widows work to DB. Or if you want you can also connect to the PC where is installed the database (the Database Server) with a ssh connection also, and work into DB from sqlplus terminal window.
    I hope you need this help.
    Hi
    Sergio

ssh means "secure shell", one way to get it is to download the free "putty" program from the internet. Look for it on www.google.com.

It's similar to telnet, only it encrypts the messages to/from the server and other things like that (hence the adjective "secure").

Another way is to install the oracle clients on your pc at home and connecting directly to the server using e.g. sqlplus. If you're on Windows, you can download the clients separately from otn.oracle.com (for free, just register).

Once you have the clients, just modify tnsnames.ora to point to the server - everything is explained in the docs (ask your dba to setup it for you - it's very simple).

HTH
    Alberto Dell'Era

Re: Connectivity between oracle server and client through dialup network

Ok,
    if you use windows system you can use putty or an secure shall client or if in your enterprise there is no problem of security, you can use telnet, open a shall like old dos and use telnet command and you 'll connect with your PC in your enterprise.
    If you use linux: open a bash and use the command ssh "namehost" where namehost is the name of PC in your enterprise, sometimes you must have an user to connecting in a PC so you can use the command ssh -l "username" "hostname".
    If in your enterprise there is a computer sience responsible, he could help you with the ssh connection.

I hope this is helpfull for you.
    Hi Sergio

Originally posted by umasankaran
    hello sir i cannot understand "ssh connection"?