Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Stored procedure help

I am trying to use a stored procedure with an ASP page. The table I am inserting too has a column called currentemailsfaxesID which does not allow values. I want this field to be the @@IDENTITY when it inserts. I keep getting an error about not allowing NULLS. Here is the statement I have been working with. While I am familiar with SQL, @@IDENTITY is new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

INSERT INTO arttesttable
    (customer_code, message_type, subject, start_date,
    email_address, send_from, message_text, fax_number, times_sent, last_sent,order_no)

VALUES
    ('34588', 'TEST', 'TEST', '2004-01-01',
    '@strEmailAddress', '@strSendFrom', '@strMessageText', '@strFaxNumber', 0, '2004-01-01', 0)

SELECT @@IDENTITY as currentemailsfaxesID

Re: Stored procedure help

Originally posted by wasp911
    I am trying to use a stored procedure with an ASP page. The table I am inserting too has a column called currentemailsfaxesID which does not allow values. I want this field to be the @@IDENTITY when it inserts. I keep getting an error about not allowing NULLS. Here is the statement I have been working with. While I am familiar with SQL, @@IDENTITY is new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

INSERT INTO arttesttable
    email_address, send_from, message_text, fax_number, times_sent, last_sent,order_no)

VALUES
    '@strEmailAddress', '@strSendFrom', '@strMessageText', '@strFaxNumber', 0, '2004-01-01', 0)

currentemailsfaxesid does not allow NULL values. sorry

Use SELECT instead of VALUES:

INSERT INTO arttesttable

select '34588', 'TEST', 'TEST', '2004-01-01',
    '@strEmailAddress', '@strSendFrom', '@strMessageText', '@strFaxNumber', 0, '2004-01-01', 0,
    @@IDENTITY as currentemailsfaxesID

snail: Why?

wasp: And also use SCOPE_IDENTITY(). This will guarantee that the new value is taken from YOUR last insert statement.

Still get null errors if I use this.

INSERT INTO arttesttable
    (currentemailsfaxesID, customer_code, message_type, subject, start_date,

select @@IDENTITY as currentemailsfaxesID, '34588', 'TEST', 'TEST', '2004-01-01',
    '@strEmailAddress', '@strSendFrom', '@strMessageText', '@strFaxNumber', 0, '2004-01-01', 0

If I use the query posted by snail, I get an error that the select has more values than the insert.

Oh, and what's up with variables surrounded by apostrophes?

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    snail: Why?

wasp: And also use SCOPE_IDENTITY(). This will guarantee that the new value is taken from YOUR last insert statement.
    SELECT is more usefull if you are in need to make some additional actions during insert - something like this:

-- will not work
    insert tmptable(code) values((select top 1 code from tmptable))
    -- will work
    insert tmptable(code) select((select top 1 code from tmptable))

Agree, but he's not doing it.

Variables in '' are the variables I am going to use when the query works. Put '' around them instead of typing test text in there.

Pure laziness basically

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    Agree, but he's not doing it.
    But if he do? At least it is good to know....

Duely noted

Re: Stored procedure help

Originally posted by wasp911

INSERT INTO arttesttable

VALUES

I keep getting an error when I try this. The currentemailsfaxes column does not allow nulls and the statement keeps returning a NULL value.

I am trying to run this in Query Analyzer. I keep getting the NULL value error. This is copied from the example in the MSDN but it won't work. No matter what method I try, it thinks the value is NULL.

INSERT arttesttable

VALUES
    ('34588', 'test', 'test', '2004-01-26',
    'test', 'From', 'Text', '1', 0, '2004-01-26', 1)

SELECT @@IDENTITY AS currentemailsfaxesID

was the column defined as an identity column?

Why don't you just set currentemailsfaxesID field as Identity (Not For Replication) in the table design. Then you don't have to pass it in.