Unanswered: valid query wont work as DTS task???

i have a query which works fine when i run it from Query Analyzer.

when i try to create a DTS script "Exectute SQL Task", then this SQL does not work within that task, and i dont know why:

ALTER TABLE T_DESCRIP COLUMN EYE varchar(3) NOT NULL

It throws and error that says:

"Error Description: Deferred prepare could not be completed. Statement could not be prepared. Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'COLUMN'.

Why would you want to put THIS into a DTS?

im using DTS to make a schedule a copy of the database and after its finished i want to change one of the columns from a "char" type to a "varchar" type because the application that queries from that data is placing "padding" at the end of the results items because its a fixed length char field...

in any case, whatever i am doing does it matter? does DTS limit the use of ALTER in this case?

I am not sure if the DTS will not allow this. However, have you thought of just adding an extra step to the scheduled job so that after your DTS completes then you can alter your table?

Originally posted by mozkill
    im using DTS to make a schedule a copy of the database and after its finished i want to change one of the columns from a "char" type to a "varchar" type because the application that queries from that data is placing "padding" at the end of the results items because its a fixed length char field...

in any case, whatever i am doing does it matter? does DTS limit the use of ALTER in this case?

yeah, thats exactly what im doing... or at least trying to do...

i am able to add indexes to my tables using this same method but for some reason the ALTER statement wont work. i suspect that there is a limitation there for some reason but the error message is vague...

i havent had any trouble with any other SQL queries... only this one.

(by the way, i realize i need to add indexes AFTER i alter the table)
    Last edited by mozkill; 01-23-04 at 16:48.

Why are you not defining the changed datatype on the Tranformation when you create the new database? You can control the input by CASTing the new type in the Source SQL Statement. This should allow you output the correct data type to your destination table.

Also you could attempt to modify the "Create Table" script of the Task to create the correct type in the destination table and attempt to squeeze the data into the new field.

I would personnaly still CAST the existing data type to match the new data type for clarity and consistency.

Re: valid query wont work as DTS task???

You may have 2 many GO statements in your query.
    Only 1 required at the end. I was having similar problem with large queries.

when i try to create a DTS script "Exectute SQL Task", then this SQL does not work within that task, and i dont know why:

"Error Description: Deferred prepare could not be completed. Statement could not be prepared. Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'COLUMN'.

Re: valid query wont work as DTS task???

Hi...

I may have found your problem. When adding columns, the ALTER TABLE statement doesn't call for the keyword COLUMN. Also, if you are adding a field that does not allow nulls to a table that is already populated, you'll need to assign the field with a default value or it will fail.

I tried this in a quick DTS package and it worked fine...

ALTER TABLE T_DESCRIP
    ADD EYE varchar(3) NOT NULL
    DEFAULT 'DEF' WITH VALUES

GO

Just replace 'DEF' above with whatever is appropriate for a default value in your case... ' ', 'VAL', CONVERT(varchar(3), ''), etc...

Justin