Unanswered: Access 2002 database problem

Hi,

I'm new to ASP, and I'm trying to teach my self a few things about it etc. Anyway, the first problem I come up against...Access 2002 database, and getting ASP to talk to it.

I have downloaded ready made scripts in the past from hotscripts, and non of them have ever been able to talk to access, no matter what I did or tried, and now I have given up on trying to get it fixed, and admitted defeat against it. So, I hope someone can help. I'll include everything, just to be comprehensive.

Default page:

<!---#include file="inc/head.asp"-->
    <!---#include file="inc/menu.asp"-->
    <td>
    <table width="620" height="500">
    <tr>
    <td valign="top"><center>
    <%
    response.write formatdatetime (time, vbshorttime)
    %>&nbsp;
    <%
    response.write formatdatetime (date, vblongdate)
    %>
    </center>
    <blockquote>
    <!---#include file="inc/adovbs.inc"--->
    <%
    Dim DB, RS
    set DB = Server.CreateObject("adoDB.connection")
    DB.mode = admodereadwrite
    DB.provider = "microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0"
    DB.connectionstring = server.mappath("db1.mdb")
    DB.open
    %>
    <%
    Set RS = Server.CreateObject("adoDB.recordset")
    RS.Open "table1", DB, adOpenKeySet, adLockReadOnly, adCmdTable
    If RS.BOF and RS.EOF Then
    Response.Write "<p align='center'>Sorry, no files!</p>"
    Else
    RS.MoveFirst
    While Not RS.EOF
    Response.Write RS("name")& "<BR>"
    RS.MoveNext
    wEnd
    End If
    %>

</blockquote>
    </form><br>
    </font>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <!---#include file="inc/foot.asp"-->

Head.asp, menu.asp and foot.asp don't contain any conflict script (that I can see)(head has a simple 'number of users online' script, and menu has a links list from a text file) foot doesn't have any ASP at all. I can post if needed.

This script was supposed to be a simple, get you off the start line kind of thing, and I hoped it would work after all of my bungled attempts with HotScripts ready-mades.

The database is a very simple, 'Open access, make database, select directory, make 1 column, close database', no passwords were added, and nothing specific was added. I have attached the database, just in case (so nobody has to ask for it), but it's bare, no data at all, just a column name.

I seriously believe that I have a problem with my machine, or OS setup or IIS setup, if you agree, please let me know.

I'm really desparate here, and if anyone can point me in the right direction for more tutorials on programming in VBScript as well, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks everyone

Sorry, I forgot...(bad habit)

Ok, I knew I would forget something, everyone probably knows it, but here's the error page (or at least what it says).

nternet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)
    Error Type:
    Server object, ASP 0177 (0x8007007F)
    8007007f
    /Default.asp, line 18

Browser Type:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1) Opera 7.23 [en]

Page:
    GET /Default.asp

Time:
    Friday, January 23, 2004, 9:29:30 PM

Opera isn't the problem, I have tried it in Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, Netscape, Internet Explorer and Opera...

Thanks again...

Re: Sorry, I forgot...(bad habit)

Well, I have found the problem. I booted into Windows 2003 Server, and it fixed it. It appears that my Windows XP is a bit unhealthy at the moment.

Thanks to anyone who thought about replying....

Thumbs up tutorttal

hi mate

found this tutorial

pretty comprehensive for a search facility

Laters...

Re: forgot link sorry!

Originally posted by original
    http://tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo/Tutorial05.htm
    Ok, Looks like someone is trying to take the mick here. I asked for help, and FIXED the problem, wow, I forgot somthing, no need to persecute...pathetic.

Hi, I have the same problem with my localhost, how did you fix this problem?
    None of my websites are working with my localhost anymore (help!).

Originally posted by wasabi
    Hi there,

Sometimes (somehow) when I restart the IIS, It changes the "execute permissions" to "none", which can be setted up in "properties" window of websites in IIS

hope this helps,
    Baris

Originally posted by wasabi
    I am having the same problem!!! Has anyone figured this out - it's very frustrating. None of my ADO scripts work anymore. Please help.

Originally posted by jshantz
    I am having the same problem!!! Has anyone figured this out - it's very frustrating. None of my ADO scripts work anymore. Please help.
    I experienced that all my local sites, which work fine one day, did not work the next day! This eror message was all i get:
    Error Type:

Server object, ASP 0177 (0x8007007F)

8007007f

Figured it out

After about six hours yesterday I finally figured this out. I found a similar post on the Internet that helped quite a bit:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...B-%2Bthe%2BFIX!%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch

The problem is basically related to the MDAC version. If you recently rebooted from the "Last Known Good Configuration" menu in XP then that is likely the cause. You basically have to reload all your dll's which is quite a pain. This article describes the procedure pretty well.

One NOTE - I could not get the method the author suggests for replacing the dll's to work. I had to boot into safe mode before replacing the files in both places. You can click F8 before the windows splash screen to boot into safe mode.

Hope you can fix it - it was quite a pain...

Re: Figured it out

That's right, Ihad to go back to the "Last Known Good Configuration" couple of weeks ago, dont know why, I had a worm attack that week as well, maybe thats related? I will look into this, thanks a lot.