Unanswered: field calulation

For the life of me, I can't figure this out:

I created a DB in FMP5.5 to record employee badges printed.
    I want to add a field that will calculate how many badges have been printed between ribbons.

I have had this DB up and running for a while. I have kept track of the dates the badges were printed, how many were printed of any specific card, and what dates the ribbon was changed.

Is there a way to do this? I assumed I would tell it to find the sum of fields between two dates (the dates that the ribbon was changed in the printer). But jeez that got me confused.

Maybe its because its Friday.

Please reply and/or email me at DHansen@bethelsd.org (and even davidhansen_18@msn.com) if you can help. Thank you.

Re: field calulation

What your attemping to accomplish is do-able, sounds like you just need to get it organized.
    You need fields:
    Start Date (Date field)
    End Date (Date field)
    Number Days (Calculating field [end date - start date]number)

BeginSerial Number (number field)
    End Serial Number (number field)
    Badges Printed (calculating field [end serial - begin serial]number)

Total Ribbons (calculating [status(current recordcount],number) This senario assumes that each record = 1 ribbon

Ribbon Life (bages print / total ribbons)

You can analyze alot more, work with summary fields

You can also add a button with a script to start a new record, which
    automaticly copies in the end serial number to the start of the new record and autofills the start date

Good luck

Originally posted by davidhansen_18
    For the life of me, I can't figure this out:

I created a DB in FMP5.5 to record employee badges printed.
    I want to add a field that will calculate how many badges have been printed between ribbons.

I have had this DB up and running for a while. I have kept track of the dates the badges were printed, how many were printed of any specific card, and what dates the ribbon was changed.

Is there a way to do this? I assumed I would tell it to find the sum of fields between two dates (the dates that the ribbon was changed in the printer). But jeez that got me confused.

Maybe its because its Friday.

Please reply and/or email me at DHansen@bethelsd.org (and even davidhansen_18@msn.com) if you can help. Thank you.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions