Unanswered: sybase is too slow

We have moved our existing Sybase system from one NT box to another NT box with same configuration. The size of the user database is around 8 GB. On the old NT the applications were running for the last 3 years and there was no performance issue. Now on the new box, whenever a user tries to fire some Fetch record using the front end, it takes forever. The front end fires the stored procedure in the back, which has Selects, Inserts, Updates in the Temporary table, before it gets displayed on the screen.

In the old system it use to complete in less than 5 minutes, but in the new system it's hanging there forever.

My tempdb is on a seperate device with plenty of space.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Re: sybase is too slow

Strange login requesting help on Sybase ;-)

provide us
    1) the configuration file
    2) the output of a sp_sysmon during slowness
    3) the @@version
    4) the exact configuration of the new machine : what's differing comparing the old one and the new one ?
    5) for a problematic select statement, the showplans on the both machines

My problem is that if I try to write the data to a temporary table then the process takes longer to finish. If I write the same data to a permanent table then it finishes in less than 1 minute.

I would suspect, again, that the machines are not identical, and so some configuration parameters would have to change in relation to tempDB. Maybe you had a named cache for tempDB, or it was on a virtual device, etc..
    Thanks,

Matt

Did you run update Statistics and sp_recompile on the new server. (Always a a good idea.)

Secondly, can you compare the showplan output of the procs that are running slow on old and new server. Do this before you run the update stats.

j

Originally posted by sqlserver2k
    We have moved our existing Sybase system from one NT box to another NT box with same configuration. The size of the user database is around 8 GB. On the old NT the applications were running for the last 3 years and there was no performance issue. Now on the new box, whenever a user tries to fire some Fetch record using the front end, it takes forever. The front end fires the stored procedure in the back, which has Selects, Inserts, Updates in the Temporary table, before it gets displayed on the screen.

In the old system it use to complete in less than 5 minutes, but in the new system it's hanging there forever.

drop and recreate all user tables' index maybe a good idea for your now

My problem is that if I try to write the data to a temporary table then the process takes longer to finish. If I write the same data to a permanent table then it finishes in less than 1 minute.
    The disk containing your tempdb is a bottleneck
    OR
    You're generating bottleneck in the system tables of the tempdb (locks in tempdb..sysobjects)

Please, execute a sp_sysmon during the problematic table generation... and check the Sybase Performance & Tuning guide: it includes a whole chapter about tempdb