Unanswered: I need 1 database on 2 computers? how can i?

I have got a database that i need on two netowrked computers, without a database server. Im linking the computers just by ethernet cable. they each have internet and a file sharing utility, but i do not know how i can have 1 database used b 2 people at the same time?

Can any one help

thanx in advance

Re: I need 1 database on 2 computers? how can i?

Originally posted by 00304367
    I have got a database that i need on two netowrked computers, without a database server. Im linking the computers just by ethernet cable. they each have internet and a file sharing utility, but i do not know how i can have 1 database used b 2 people at the same time?

Can any one help

thanx in advance
    Yes, my suggestion is to look into Access built-in online help files. There is a built-in DatabaseSplitter wizard to help you achieve just what you're trying to it. The wizard is under Tools/DatabaseUtilities/DatabaseSplitter. It should walk you through the steps. What it does is takes your database Tables, also known as DataObjects and places then on the Server(backend), then places all of the Forms, Reports, etc, also known as ApplicationObjects and places them on the Workstations(frontend), the users computer to work from. This way the Data itself which resides in the tables can be secured easily. Also, you can then update the users Forms and whatnot without affecting data stored in the tables, thereby eliminating uneccessary network traffic and congestion. Your database name will then change to MyDatabaseName_be.mdb. The (be) stands for BackEnd. So look into that and you should be up and running in no time.
    have a nice one,
    Bud

Wink

Just make sure that when you do the split you navigate through your network to the location of the new resident data folder (you will probably need to create one) for your BE otherwise your Front End users will not be able to locate the data files upon activation. Unfortunately, the file split procedure tends to lead you to the local drive first.

Rory

Originally posted by Rory Popa
    Just make sure that when you do the split you navigate through your network to the location of the new resident data folder (you will probably need to create one) for your BE otherwise your Front End users will not be able to locate the data files upon activation. Unfortunately, the file split procedure tends to lead you to the local drive first.

Rory

True Rory Popa,
    But there is a linking procedure that also helps link all relative tables to the new location as well. Check into the Link Table Manager.

Bud

How is the locking don

Hi,
    Access is just a Binary file, when you put it on a server and have two clients connected to that file, could the database freez????

Quote Originally Posted by moondust369
    Hi,
    Access is just a Binary file, when you put it on a server and have two clients connected to that file, could the database freez????
    Had it on a server before and never had it to freeze. But do look into the Tools/Options then click the AdvancedTab. Make sure you have Access set in SharedMode and also set the NoLocks as well. One job I had it was placed on a server, THE WHOLE ENTIRE DATABASE and used that way. Though not a good way to do it, it worked without a hitch. There were about a dozen users at any given time and nothing froze on us. However, for the sake of doing things right I would use the Database Splitter. Then, just looking back at what you said, you should be able to do the same as above, meaning just setting the SharedMode and NoLocks. What you have is essentially a Peer-To-Peer Network (No dedicated server) but the one with the program sitting on it Acts as the server. But, you will have to have Access installed on both computers. Once done, just Open access on the system trying to access the database and navigate to find the other computer, and essentially the folder where the database sits. Then create you a shortcut to that folder so you don't have to look for it all the time.

have a nice one....heading to bed
    BUD

BTW Moondust369, I forgot to say,

"Welcome to the Forum"