Thread: Excel

Smile Unanswered: Excel

Seeking help about MS Excel as a new user.

I want a column to format automatically using formula.
    For example, I want all the cell of column B to be multiply by 3 automatically when I will enter any value in the cell.

Example : I will put 500 in Cell B1. This must be multiply by 3 and shows the result in the same cell 3*500 = 1500 in the cell B1.

Thanks for your kind help.

I don't think you can do it directly because you can't have a formula and a value in the same cell at the same time. You could have column B as the input column, and the corresponding formula in C (in C1 put =B1*3), which would give the result you need.

There are more complicated ways to achieve this, but this would be the simplest.

Another rather simple approach is to download the add-in ASAP-Utilities, which has the ability to take a range of cells and do any kind of arithmetic to those cells. But that is after the numbers have been entered. BTW, this is a valuable tool with over 300 useful Excel functions/abilities.

Or you could accomplish the same thing in Excel (2002) without that add-in. Put the number 3 in cell D1. Then after the numbers are entered into column B. Select D1 and copy. Then select the range of numbers in Column B, right-click and Paste Special - then click on "Multiply."
    Last edited by shades; 01-24-04 at 17:51.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

[quoteExample : I will put 500 in Cell B1. This must be multiply by 3 and shows the result in the same cell 3*500 = 1500 in the cell B1. [/quote]

Shades' (Hey Shades!) comments notwithstanding, unless you're familiar with VBA and want to mess with a Worksheet or Selection Change event, why not just insert an intermediary column with the formula that you need?

Maybe you can clarify a bit?

Smitty

Thank you so much for your sincere help.
    Now I got a way and will try to find a solution.
    Let me check the Add-in-ASAP.
    I will come back to you again to give you little pain if I face any more problems.

Thnaks once again.

- Siraj

Originally posted by shades
    I don't think you can do it directly because you can't have a formula and a value in the same cell at the same time. You could have column B as the input column, and the corresponding formula in C (in C1 put =B1*3), which would give the result you need.

There are more complicated ways to achieve this, but this would be the simplest.

Another rather simple approach is to download the add-in ASAP-Utilities, which has the ability to take a range of cells and do any kind of arithmetic to those cells. But that is after the numbers have been entered. BTW, this is a valuable tool with over 300 useful Excel functions/abilities.

Or you could accomplish the same thing in Excel (2002) without that add-in. Put the number 3 in cell D1. Then after the numbers are entered into column B. Select D1 and copy. Then select the range of numbers in Column B, right-click and Paste Special - then click on "Multiply."