Thread: Open cursors

Unanswered: Open cursors

Hi Guys,

I'm getting an Open Cursor exeeded error while running one of our web enabled application. The ASP is running some SQLs to display some pages. I increased the OPEN_CURSORS to 500, but still the error persists. platform: Oracle 817 on windows. I did some metalink search, but not very useful info to me. Any guidelines to address this issue?

thanks,
    Sunil

Re: Open cursors

Is your code closing all cursors when its done?

We had a problem back on 8.1 where the For Cursor Loop would fail to close the cursor after completion resulted in exceeding max cursors. We ended up re-writing the code with Open - Fetch - Loop.

Try checking your open cursors during execution to determine what is leaving your cursors open.

HIH

I agree with the above reply, make sure you close the cursors when finished using in code...from experiance I have seen many oracle datbases with open_cursors set to 800 and above...as a fix/hack.

thanks guys.

- Also, when you open multiple cursors with the same name, remember to close each one after opening next one. Else it opens a new cursor, and leaves the previous cursor open.
    - Also, close all open cursors in exception handler.
    - Its safe to use a for loop to open cursor, as against a open ... fectch .. close.
    Oracle can do wonders !

Have anyone been using Javascript? These cursors are Javascript recordsets and it seems to be closing after retrieving the required records. But for some reason, the open_cursor exeeded error reappears indicating the cursors have not been closed. If anyone is used with Javascript, i can put a snippet of the code here.